Korg ms10 problem...

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Korg ms10 problem...

Postby winnebago » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Just got my korg ms10 home now and Im sure this will be something simple but the keyboard seems to be on high note priority, does anybody know how to change this?

Also not really liking it after playing with it for about 30 mins :( Hope this changes.
winnebago

Advertisement:

Re: Korg ms10 problem...

Postby Psy_Free » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:43 pm

You can't change the note priority AFAIK, that's just the way it is.

Give the MS-10 time, it's one of the most versatile single Osc synths ever made. Years ago I used to make whole tracks, including drums with just an MS-10 & some effects.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bandcamp : http://sachagibsonklangzeit.bandcamp.com/
Soundcloud : http://soundcloud.com/psy_free
Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Some synths, guitars, effects & circuit bent bongos
Band: Klangzeit

Postby winnebago » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:34 pm

I thought that might be the case, I'm sure I will get used to it. Actually after I did the first post I carried on playing around with it and started to like it more already, starting to see how amazing its going to be. I really can't see why the have note priority at all though. Cheers for the reply.
winnebago

Postby theotherleadingbrand » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:18 pm

The high note priority will make it easier to do pedalling bass lines. Since I'm a hack it helps my playing sound more consistent anyhow.
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.
theotherleadingbrand

Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Postby donpepperoni » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:29 am

Just slap a delay on the ms 10 and enjoy! This thing is great if you can get it sequenced using the cv. Works on s-trig though, slightly different to doepfer, roland, moog protocol though. I still get some amazing sounds out of it with my doepfer dark energy. Also, you can patch in the white noise to the external in which is a nice trick. Really, this little synth is amazing, give it time!
donpepperoni

Postby winnebago » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:58 pm

Just been having another play with it and im really starting to like it alot now :) Wish it was in better cosmetic condition and also wouldnt mind getting it serviced as I noticed one of the keys slowly drifts in and out of tune, all the others are fine though. I dont know anywhere in the north of england that would service anything like this though :( Just actually noticed that the dodgy key only goes out of tune when the key is moved when held down, if held perfectly still it stays in tune like the rest.
winnebago

Postby madtheory » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm

A kenton Pro Solo will solve all your problems if you don't mind not using the keyboard on the Korg. Gives you an extra LFO too, plus MIDI cc control of one CV destination.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:32 pm

winnebago wrote:Just been having another play with it and im really starting to like it alot now :) Wish it was in better cosmetic condition and also wouldnt mind getting it serviced as I noticed one of the keys slowly drifts in and out of tune, all the others are fine though. I dont know anywhere in the north of england that would service anything like this though :( Just actually noticed that the dodgy key only goes out of tune when the key is moved when held down, if held perfectly still it stays in tune like the rest.

Sounds like a dirty contact. I just tidied up an MS-10 for someone, they're not hard to work on, but you have to be happy with dismantling things to do it yourself.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby winnebago » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:47 pm

Would you say it is a hard task to clean the contacts for somebody who has only ever changed a fuse inside a synth before? I really want it to be working as it should, love the sound so much.
winnebago

Postby syntheticsolutions » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:20 pm

winnebago wrote: I dont know anywhere in the north of england that would service anything like this though :( .

There is a nice chap called Gareth in Leeds that is good with the old analogs, you will find him under soundservice, its part of Jam studios.
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.
syntheticsolutions

Gear: OB-8, Jupiter 4, Polysix, Juno 6, RS-505, MS-10, VC-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Dark Energy, Dark Time,Machinedrum, DX, RE-501, DC-50, Roland Rack, Foogers
Band: Lunar Modular

Postby EmptySet » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:07 pm

you could always walk around the back the synth and play it from there if you want low note priority. :lol: i'll be here till sunday. tip your waitresses.
EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Postby pflosi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:48 pm

The MS10 is a great synth :) If you have a MS20 (or a MS03) as well, it's easy to convert v-triggers into s-triggers (unfortunately only trigger and no gate though, you have to work with the EG 'hold' control). Basically, the MS20 ESP / MS03 is an envelope follower that also gives you a s-trigger and a pitch-to-cv (hz/v) converter. It's actually possible to use for example a sine wave on some soft synth to have a 'midi-cv' work around for hz/v and s-triggers - just send it out to the ESP and use the trigger and pitch-to-hz/v there... (If you have a MS20, you can of course also chain them together to have one massive 3 osc, 3 EG, 2 MG synth - an MS30 if you want :D. Great fun I can tell you. Some multiples / mixers for cv are handy for that though...)

Apart from that, the MS10 has some nice things that the MS20 does not have. Firstly, PWM. It's really a shame that you can only modulate the PW by hand on the MS20. MS10 can do both PW by hand and PWM (the 'PW/PWM' knob is turned into an attenuator for the modulation when something is plugged into the 'PWM' jack), and the PWM on it is pure awesomeness. I'd even say it's the coolest PWM on all of my synths. Secondly, the 'external signal level' can give you very nice overdrive :) you have to take the detour over the ESP for that on the MS20, and I have the impression that you cannot get as rude an overdrive as on the MS10. Thirdly, it's great as a filter effect (ok the MS20 is nice for that as well 8-)): you can get rid of the osc sound by using the pulse waveform and turn the 'PW' know fully clockwise - no more sound from the osc, signal chain is free for whatever you want to send through it (connect it to 'external signal in' obviously). Plug the 'modwheel out' jack to the 'initial gain' input jack, turn the wheel up, voilà the VCA is always open (if you have the aforementioned MS03 or the MS20 (ESP), you can also trigger the envelopes with the sound source instead of opening the VCA, or use the envelope follower) and you can send stuff trough it and go crazy with the filter and modulations 8-).

Have fun!
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Return to HELP!