Any AKAI VX90 Owners??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Any AKAI VX90 Owners??

Postby HideawayStudio » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:09 pm

I recently aquired an old AKAI VX90 as I've always been curious about these but never brought myself to get one thanks to its rather unfriendly looking UI.

Unusually for a rackmount analog, they feature VCOs and the not the usual DCOs as in the Roland offerings of the time (of which I have most of them!). These are in the form of Curtis CEM3394's - same as the Sequential Six-Track.

The synth has a tape interface and so I'd be interested to hear from other owners who might have some interesting patches they'd be willing to share.
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Advertisement:

Re: Any AKAI VX90 Owners??

Postby Z » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:31 pm

I had one for about a year or so in the early 90s. Not a totally-unfriendly UI, but more sliders are always nice.

I never saved any patches to tape. I believe the AX73 uses the same synth engine.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby HideawayStudio » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Z wrote:I had one for about a year or so in the early 90s. Not a totally-unfriendly UI, but more sliders are always nice.

I never saved any patches to tape. I believe the AX73 uses the same synth engine.

Good to hear it's not totally unfriendly - the beasty hasn't turned up yet so I'm not sure what I've let myself in for. I believe, as you say, it's an AX73 in a rackmount.

The biggest shame is that it doesn't support sysex to the best of my knowledge - so no nice PC editors...

Still... it's a little something different.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Z » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Coolest thing with the VX90 (which is also on the AX60) is the VCF modulation from VCO. You can make some NASTY sounds using that feature especially with the resonance cranked to max.

Also, the unison mode was pretty decent from what I remember.

I wouldn't mind getting another, but they fetch silly prices these days.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Ax-60, Ax-73 and Vx-90 are all the same... I dunno if the ax-60 has this, but on the VX, you can double the oscillators for a 3-voice, 2-oscillator sound with variable (and limited) detune. The problem is, then you want more voices :cry: I thought they sounded pretty good, especially with that osc>filter FM, but they are still pretty limited, and the interface is slow going.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby urgetoplay » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:52 pm

One of the few pieces I'm still looking for. They're relatively uncommon here in the states and typically inexpensive. There was one seller on ebay who equated uncommon = lots of $. I'm curious to know if the VX has the DIN input for the Akai samplers. That could be a lot of fun...
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.
urgetoplay

Postby glassofwater » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:56 pm

urgetoplay wrote:One of the few pieces I'm still looking for. They're relatively uncommon here in the states and typically inexpensive. There was one seller on ebay who equated uncommon = lots of $. I'm curious to know if the VX has the DIN input for the Akai samplers. That could be a lot of fun...

"A really cool feature of the VX-90 is that you can plug the Akai S-612, S-900 and S-950 samplers in to it and run their samples through the VX-90's analog filter and envelope sections."

would love to try that out on my VX, too bad I don't have a sampler.
glassofwater

Postby Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:00 am

urgetoplay wrote:One of the few pieces I'm still looking for. They're relatively uncommon here in the states and typically inexpensive. There was one seller on ebay who equated uncommon = lots of $. I'm curious to know if the VX has the DIN input for the Akai samplers. That could be a lot of fun...

The VX-90 also has the DIN input for the samplers, but... I'm wondering why anyone would choose that over the slider-laden AX-60? ;)
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby HideawayStudio » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:The VX-90 also has the DIN input for the samplers, but... I'm wondering why anyone would choose that over the slider-laden AX-60? ;)

Simply really.... I have 30+ synths/samplers in here but only 4 keyboards - and there is no way I'm shoehorning another one in - a rack it has to be! ;)
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:33 am

HideawayStudio wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:The VX-90 also has the DIN input for the samplers, but... I'm wondering why anyone would choose that over the slider-laden AX-60? ;)

Simply really.... I have 30+ synths/samplers in here but only 4 keyboards - and there is no way I'm shoehorning another one in - a rack it has to be! ;)

Furry muff! :lol:
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Return to General Synthesizers