Studio Electronics ATC-1 vs. ATC-X vs. ATC-Xi

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Studio Electronics ATC-1 vs. ATC-X vs. ATC-Xi

Postby paxton » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:36 am

Sorry if this seems like a dumb thread but I can't find out much differences between them voiced online. Are the components in each very much? The thing that seems weird is it's $1195 for a 4 filter newest model with many more features and the ATC-1's go on eBay for around $800 used with 1 filter installed which seems steep in comparison. Thanks to all for responses in advance.
paxton

Advertisement:

Re: Studio Electronics ATC-1 vs. ATC-X vs. ATC-Xi

Postby b3groover » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:52 pm

The difference is that the original ATC-1 can only utilize one filter at a time and indeed you can only have one filter cartridge physically connected to the unit at a time unless you have the expander chassis.

The ATC-x has all four filters internally and the active filter for a patch is saved with that patch. It also has an analog feedback/distortion circuit that is saved per patch, which I don't think the ATC-1 has.

The ATC-xi is the same as the ATC-x except that it has a pure sine wave on the second oscillator instead of a triangle.

They really are great synths. I would suggest looking for an ATC-x. I've seen then go as low as $500 but that was a few years ago. I paid $900 for mine from Noisebug, NIB.
b3groover

Band: organissimo

Postby paxton » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:52 pm

I called SE and they said I can install an internal 4 filters with bank selector for $400. They also mentioned being able to add the sine wave discrete switchable VCA for $300. I am considering adding all that since I ordered one with no filters included. A main thing I was wondering is , is the sound completely similar using only features found on both or have they changed any components that could have altered the sound in any way?
paxton

Postby b3groover » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:55 am

That I don't know. Most likely they all sound very similar if not the same.

Also, $300 + $400 is $700 plus the price of the unit itself. For that money, you could just get a used ATC-x and call it a day! :)
b3groover

Band: organissimo

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:52 pm

also (not mentioned but a hugely valuable feature imho) is the atc-x versions have the option of a "moog VCA" that really adds to the sound character in what I consider to be a highly enjoyable way.
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby noha » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:24 pm

I have an ATC-1 with the internal 4 filter selectors and the Moog VCA, and I must say it's one of the best synths I've played due to this versatility and GREAT SOUND. There's also an option to get another switch for the Oberheim filter that switches it between lowpass and highpass, giving even more sculpting power. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the ATC-1 has CV and Gate inputs, allowing you to interface it with other vintage gear, which rocks. I love the ATC-1.
noha

Postby sawan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:51 am

i have the original atc-1 with the 4 internal filters too. also have the SEM hi-pass switch installed. it's the only h/w synth i own that i'm actually attached to.

i like the sound of the discreet vca mod but i'm not sure if i'd prefer to keep the triangle wave, surely the triangle sounds sine-ish enough anyway? would be interested to hear anyones opinion on the benefits of the sine over a tri? i guess for cross mod stuff it could be cool, but still, the triangle is very smooth as it is. anyway, for a synth as funky as it already is i can only imagine the moogy envs would take it to even greasier heights! so yeah, will probably upgrade one day.

since i upgraded to the 2.3 OS it's really taken me to the perfect spot wrt intergration with my ableton setup. being able to save edits made with an external midi controller is the main thing it was missing. i manage all my patches with sound quest and it loads up the patch as it was at the time of saving the project every time with no fuss. for a synth as analoggy as it is, i can't realy ask for much more. well, apart from a distortion to go with it. which is one of the man upgrades with the newer atcs. but i've heard that it's not actually all that anyway, so i don't really feel like i'm missing out.

wouldn't mind a recommendation from anyone for a good pedal to go with it.

one more thing, the ARP filter is 8-)
sawan

Postby skizzle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:28 am

great info here, thanks for sharing. malekko (b)assmaster?

Watch on youtube.com
skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to Synth Shootouts