Oberheim Matrix 1000 vs. Poly Evolver

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Oberheim Matrix 1000 vs. Poly Evolver

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Got a line on a cheap M1000 but I already own a Poly Evolver Rack and a desktop Evolver. I'm well aware of the various drawbacks of the M1000 (editing, hum, slower EGs).

Both being CEM based machines am I going to get anything really different out of the M1000?

One thing the Evo lacks is analog ring modulation, does the M1000 have this?

PS I have looked at the other M1000 threads in Buyer's Guide, many of which suggest the Tetra is better.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Advertisement:

Re: Oberheim Matrix 1000 vs. Poly Evolver

Postby cornutt » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:55 pm

The hum thing is not that bad and can be fixed. At least with mine, it's usually only noticeable when the room is very quiet.

As far as the CEMs, I don't know what the Poly Evolver uses, but I'm pretty sure it's not the 3396 synth-on-a-chip that the Matrix 1000 uses. The 3396 went in a different in several respects from the earlier Curtis designs; for instance, the oscillators are DCOs. And the M1000 has lot of mod routing flexibility. So you might get something out of it that you haven't heard before. On the other hand, the PolyEvolver is probably overall a much more capable synth.

The M1000 does not have any type of ring modulation. The only audio-frequency modulation it can do is FM of the filter.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Re: Oberheim Matrix 1000 vs. Poly Evolver

Postby Sir Ruff » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:34 pm

I can't see there being ANY advantage of the matrix over the PE (aside from 2 extra voices). The matrix might have oscillator>Filter modulation, but definitely no ring mod. Get a moogerfooger ring mod and call it a day (or even cheaper, one of these passive ring mods listed for sale over on MW - like $45 shipped!)
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Return to Buyer's Guide