recalled to life- Roland XP50

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

recalled to life- Roland XP50

Postby DWJMM » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Hello,

Just found this site. This is my first post.

I am trying to recall my Roland XP50 back to life. Actually is works okay....except for the selector knob/wheel. This makes my experience most frustrating when trying to use the keyboard. I had it looked at by Sweetwater Sound and they said the price to repair would be more than it was worth.

I was thinking for trying to sell to Guitar Center (they don't want it) or on Ebay and just trade out for something lesser, but with functioning buttons/wheels. But in a recent conversation I had the idea of using a synth module or rack synth, whatever you call them plugged into the ?midi out on the keyboard.

Would this work? Using just the RolandXP50 for the keys itself, and the module to do the selecting/controlling the voice?

Thanks!!!
John
DWJMM

Advertisement:

Re: recalled to life- Roland XP50

Postby rhino » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:27 am

Welcome to the board.
What is the problem? Does it not change the parameters smoothly...or at all?
AFAIK, the device behind the knob is just a standard rotary encoder... should be no problem to replace.

Give Roland a call monday: 1-323-890-3740

part number is: 00783523
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby DWJMM » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks,

From what I remember, the technicians that looked at it said whatever needed to be fixed (rotary knob and several 2-3 buttons on the number pad) either came en bloc as a part or involved soldering on the circuit board....It's been 9months since I had it looked at. Maybe they said both, I can't remember. But they did say that they could repair it, however suggested it might be cheaper to buy a new synth.
DWJMM

Postby DWJMM » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Sorry,

I should have explained as well:

1. the rotary knob for selecting patches only sorta works. You turn the wheel to change patches and attempt for example to go from #65 to #119. You turn the wheel to the right and at first the numbers do start going up, but not by 1's...it's skipping. You keep turning the wheel and now the numbers start going backwards/down. It makes getting to any specific patch frustrating

2. several of the buttons on the number/selector pad don't work. this prevents you from using it in the previous example as a way past the broken rotary knob. You'd like to just press 1-1-9 but key 1 doesn't work. Also the number pad keys work alternately to switch between the various banks of sound.

So....you want to go to patch 083 in bank A. You are at patch 124 in bank C. You cant select bank A with the keybad because it doesn't work. You try to use the rotary wheel to go backwards to bank A and eventually patch 083 but when you turn the knob back it sends you forward into User bank. You can't event key in 1-2-4 if you manage to get to bank A because the #1 key doesn't work. AAAAAAHHHHHgggggggg
DWJMM

Postby gearfixer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:19 pm

To me you have a bad rotary encoder and tact switches. Anyone who can solder proficiently should be able to repair it.
gearfixer

Gear: Rogue, DGX, Avatar, PolySix, EX 800, Poly 800, RS101, VK-8M, Juno 60, 200a, Fast 5, YC-10, and Rhodes MK1 stage 73.

Return to HELP!