Controlling the Waldorf Microwave

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Controlling the Waldorf Microwave

Postby Syx » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:15 am

Is it possible to control the Waldorf Microwave with a Roland A-800Pro MIDI controller?

I'm trying to figure out a way where I can control this rack synth in a live setup. Is it possible with the Roland A-800Pro? I know it's quite a modern controller and I want to use it specifically because it has channel aftertouch. I guess anything is possible with the knowledge of Sysex programming right?
Syx

Advertisement:

Re: Controlling the Waldorf Microwave

Postby mharris80 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:41 am

It depends on how much editing you'll be doing on the fly. If you just want to change a few parameters, (i.e. filter cutoff, LFO rate, etc) it should suit you well. Otherwise, I'd look into something with more knobs and sliders. You'll just need to download a copy of the manual for the Waldorf and map what you want to the controller.
mharris80

Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Postby aredj » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:42 pm

No time to look at the manual atm, but I doubt that controller has the ability to do sysex value changes...
aredj

Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Postby mharris80 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:08 pm

aredj wrote:No time to look at the manual atm, but I doubt that controller has the ability to do sysex value changes...

I Googled the manual. It can be done via the included software editor.
mharris80

MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Postby Syx » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Yea, this sounds like a massive pain in the ass. I might have to go with the Mirowave XT. Either that or stick with my original plan and get an Ensoniq TS-10.
Syx

Postby mharris80 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Syx wrote:Yea, this sounds like a massive pain in the ass. I might have to go with the Mirowave XT. Either that or stick with my original plan and get an Ensoniq TS-10.

Which part? The Sys-Ex programming, I take it? It's really not that bad if you've got a good editor. If I was in your position, I'd look into the Behringer BCR2000. 56 knobs per preset, and the editing's pretty straightforward. You can find them for about $150 or so, depending on where you look. I use a program called BC Manager from Mountain Utilities to program mine.
mharris80

MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Postby calyx93 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm assuming you'll be wanting the TS-10 for its polyphonic aftertouch? Use my Microwaves with an Ensoniq SQ-80 for the the same reason - really brings the best out of the Waldorfs :) As for programming, the Behringer is great and so is the Peavey PC1600 and PC1600x.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Moog LP-TE, E-mu EII, Emax 1+2, Kawai SX-240+K-3, Korg DW8000, Ensoniq Mirage +more

Postby aredj » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:49 pm

mharris80 wrote:
aredj wrote:No time to look at the manual atm, but I doubt that controller has the ability to do sysex value changes...

Wow..yeah, look at that - sysex string values! Not bad. The only other keyboard controller that I know of that does that is the Novation line. And those are waaay more expensive than this yamaha (61keys)... very cool.

Hmm.. too bad about the joystick "modwheel"... that kind shoots back to zero right? I like my modwheel to stay where I put it...

Anyway, yeah, whether the Waldorf wants sysex or nrpn (or CC for that matter) the Yamaha looks like a good way to go, looks easy to program - seeing as you want keys and not just a midi knob box. If it was just knobs, then BCR all the way....
aredj

Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Postby mharris80 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:22 pm

aredj wrote:
mharris80 wrote:

Wow..yeah, look at that - sysex string values! Not bad. The only other keyboard controller that I know of that does that is the Novation line. And those are waaay more expensive than this yamaha (61keys)... very cool.

Hmm.. too bad about the joystick "modwheel"... that kind shoots back to zero right? I like my modwheel to stay where I put it...

Anyway, yeah, whether the Waldorf wants sysex or nrpn (or CC for that matter) the Yamaha looks like a good way to go, looks easy to program - seeing as you want keys and not just a midi knob box. If it was just knobs, then BCR all the way....

Yeah, after your first post, I had to double check real quick to make sure I wasn't talking out my ass. :lol:
And I don't know what's up with putting a "Juno stick" on a modern controller, either. If makes sense on a Juno, but for anything with more complex routing options. :roll:
mharris80

MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Return to General Synthesizers