Korg Monotron Aux Input Problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Korg Monotron Aux Input Problem

Postby iamrcb » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:56 pm

I've connected an mp3 player to my monotron. The aux input only works when I press the a "key" on the ribbon. I've seen videos of aux input working without having to press a the ribbon. Is there something wrong with my monotron?
iamrcb
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Monotron Aux Input Problem

Postby FX23 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:54 pm

good question, i think its only the monotribe where you need to press the keyboard. id love to check for you but my batteries have gone!
FX23

Postby iamrcb » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:21 pm

It turns out that the AUX jack was faulty. I tried to fix it but made it worse and the whole jack socket and solder pads came off!

Now my monotron doesn't have an AUX in. I'm either going to sell it as part working, as the synth is still ok and then get a replacement for £45, or try and wire in the jack to other parts of the circuit board and simply glue the jack socket back in place.
iamrcb
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby th0mas » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:44 pm

iamrcb wrote:It turns out that the AUX jack was faulty. I tried to fix it but made it worse and the whole jack socket and solder pads came off!

Now my monotron doesn't have an AUX in. I'm either going to sell it as part working, as the synth is still ok and then get a replacement for £45, or try and wire in the jack to other parts of the circuit board and simply glue the jack socket back in place.

If you solder it back into place you need to not just solder the tip & ground, but also the other two connections that create a "switch" that enables the amp envelope when something is plugged into the aux plug.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby iamrcb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:41 pm

I was going to glue the jack socket to the board, then wire up the original 4 connectors to a point along the same route as the original connection. Unfortunately as all the components are tiny there is little room to do so.
iamrcb
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Hybrid88 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Unfortunately the fact the pads have come off is not good, part of the reason soldering as quickly as possible and having a good quality reliable iron with a constant heat is so important.

Being SMD might make it next to impossible to fix without a small iron tip and lots of practice I would suggest IMO.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby iamrcb » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:16 pm

I bought a replacement unit for £34. I'll sell the Faulty unit as the synth part still works ok.
iamrcb
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to HELP!