Yamaha CS 15 vs Waldorf Pulse

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Yamaha CS 15 vs Waldorf Pulse

Postby KennaOkoye » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:23 am

I like to hear users give their 2 cents. thanks
KennaOkoye

Gear: Yamaha PSS-370, Roland Juno 106, Roland D50, Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Fat Strat

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha CS 15 vs Waldorf Pulse

Postby madtheory » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Pulse is wild, Yamaha is sweet. Both do nice bass.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Z » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:05 pm

What madtheory said.

The Pulse will give you a 3rd oscillator, MIDI, patch memory, random patch generator and an almost limitless sound pallette. Not difficult to program, just not as immediate as having a slider or knob per function.

I'm a sucker for mutli-mode filters, plus the CS15 has TWO OF THEM which allows you to do things that few other monosynths are capable of. Very smooth and sweet sounding synth. Suoer easy to program. It will also set you back twice the $.

I had a Pulse in the 90s and thought is was a great investment with my MIDI rig. Back then, multi-track audio recording was a premium, so most of us did as much MIDI sequencing as possible synced to our track machines. Now, multi-track audio is almost limitless, so the need for synching MIDI sequences to a tracker is not as important.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby KennaOkoye » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:14 pm

thanks alot guys...Which one would you say has more of a higher quality in sound?

Is the pulse a VCO or a DCO? thanks
KennaOkoye

Gear: Yamaha PSS-370, Roland Juno 106, Roland D50, Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Fat Strat

Postby Z » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:23 pm

They are both high quality. I'm sure the Pulse will be more realible given its much newer.

I'm 99% sure the Pulse is VCO. I just looked the the VSE entry and it doesn't say.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby madtheory » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Both sound good, but I think the Pulse has a "bigger" sound, regardless of whether it's a DCO or a VCO. Personally I'd prefer the Pulse, more scope. That said dual multimode filters is a lot of fun, although basically all you can do is get a range of weird vocal type sounds. The sweet spot (as in- the range of useable pitch, and the filter settings that work) is usually very narrow and difficult to set up for these on the Yamahas. But you might enjoy that unpredictable quality. The Yamaha is definitely more immediate. I replaced mine with a Novation K Station, didn't consider the Pulse because of the matrix programming, and it's monophonic.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.

Postby Solderman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Agreed ^^^^ on finding sweet spots being a challenge with the CS-15. I modified my CS-15 to make the channels switchable to serial, which makes it even tougher to dial in a good sound, but once you do, dayum it's righteous. Like a single Virus voice, only bigger and fuller.
The CS-15 filters will not self-oscillate without some external assistance. You have to create a feedback loop from one of the outputs back to the Audio In. If you use the Headphone out, you can get some nice distortion pre-filter, very grungy, much like the Korg MS20. There is still this annoyance in that you cannot change filter key tracking. It's stuck in one position, and that unfortunately is not 100% in line with scale. Otherwise I love the sound of it, especially bass with pulsewidth modulation. Instant Front 242, circa 1982.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg v1, CS15(mod), Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), ESQ1, Virus b

Postby KennaOkoye » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:35 am

If anythings for sure, I like strange vocal sound. hmm one virus... been thinking about virus, but its so expensive. Plus im not sure if just getting a TI is good enough seeing that there is a TI 2 lol
KennaOkoye

Postby madtheory » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:54 am

Someday people will realise how great the Novation KS is.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to Synth Shootouts