Name ONE favorite pedal (+more)

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Re: Name ONE favorite pedal (+more)

Postby Harp3 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:04 am

Oh, and the Boss Loop Station is an indispensable songwriting tool
Harp3

Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Telecaster, various fx pedals

Advertisement:

Postby Denms20 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:46 pm

This is a little late, but if you're looking for a fake leslie you can do better. I'd steer clear of the RT20. The distortion was horribly digital, more a guitar pedal than a keys pedal in my opinion. I got it to try and spice up an old model CX3. It was better than the horribly cheezy leslie sim in that, but still not where it needed to be. If you need sound clips of one compared to a real leslie let me know.
I did get a vent for those tiny clubs where a leslie doesn't fit, great pedal although almost twice the cost.

garranimal wrote:Right now my fav pedal is the RE-20 space echo. Nicely emulates the RE-201 without messing with tapes.
I'm surprised the Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble hasn't been mentioned here yet. Been jonesing for one about a year and had to put it on order. GC has decidedly discontinued stocking them and they can only be ordered online. Can understand why guitar players may not be into the RT-20, but any synth/organ players out there using this?
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com
Denms20

Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Postby Cumulus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:09 am

The RT-20 was absolute crap. I was lucky enough to have access to one for several months before helping the owner sell it in EBay.

I still love the DL-4, though, and have had zero problems with it. I also have the FM-4 but it's not quite as cool to me. I'm sure the Timefactor is a great pedal but the DL-4 has some incredible sounds in the right hands.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Cumulus

Postby rharris07 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:11 am

MXR Bluebox.

On the recording below I ran a guitar through the bluebox, then into a DL4. The bluebox just gives my guitar a very certain tone that I LOVE. It can go really ugly in a split second, so it took awhile to find the right spot..but now I have that perfect gritty, ugly sound I love without hurting your ears. Synths used were fizmo and indigo2 but they don't come in for awhile so you get a good chance to hear the bluebox throughout the beginning.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular
rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Postby hyphen nation » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 am

An eventide modfacor...that plus an oberheim echoplex has been a dream these last few weeks...I am sure it sounds like pure masturbation but I want the rest now...mod factor is stunningly deep...saw a foxx tone machine and a vintage mutron today that I may need to go back for though...
hyphen nation

Gear: boxes that make noises

Postby kingink » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:48 am

Brassmaster- not any specific companies brassmaster but the brassmaster as a fuzz type is my favorite fuzz for synth use. not only does it give me the farty bass but i can get these types of fuzz to give me something close to a grainy, sweeping filter effect once the note is let go (not just with synths but keyboards and organs too)

Arion DDS - it's one of those digital delays with 2 second sample function pedals but i think this one sounds more defined than many of them (especially those digitech delays). it makes a very nice vocal delay.

malekko vibrato - this is my favorite pedal and a very big part of my sound. I use it most frequently with my yamaha cp 20 coupled with mxr distortion and russian big muff. gives me the ability to get as close as i can to kerry king tone with a keyboard! :D it can create the most lush chorus and the most disgusting lfo type effects. also great for vocals

the Mxr Omni rack unit is also of notable mention. the distortion in that unit sounded really nice, almost sounded like my big muff when used with my korg dw 8000.
kingink

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:59 am

What, I never posted to this ancient but recently revived thread?

Silicon transistor Fuzz Face mine is an old Arbiter UK model

The face that launched a thousand ships, er endless stoned jams :guitar:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Cumulus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:42 pm

I'd also like to pit in a vote for the Digitech Jam Man. I'm normally not a fan of Digitech but anyone using the Boss loopers should take a look at the Jam Man.

It can store literally hours of sound and tons of loops.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby garranimal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Denms20 wrote:This is a little late, but if you're looking for a fake leslie you can do better. I'd steer clear of the RT20. The distortion was horribly digital, more a guitar pedal than a keys pedal in my opinion. I got it to try and spice up an old model CX3. It was better than the horribly cheezy leslie sim in that, but still not where it needed to be. If you need sound clips of one compared to a real leslie let me know.
I did get a vent for those tiny clubs where a leslie doesn't fit, great pedal although almost twice the cost.

RT-20 sound is very interesting from the standpoint of running synths through it to get unique motion sounds. Its not tremolo, nor phaser, but a different kind of interesting element of motion. I'm actually using the RT-20 on a track I'm recording now and here's a snippet of a synth pad through it....

Toggling between slow and fast modes.Overdrive = 0, Input selector = keyboard.
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby Cumulus » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:44 pm

I thought I would love the Pigtronix Mothership but it just doesn't track well enough with my bass. It did fine with guitars and synths (or course). The ring mod is one-of-a-kind, though, and is lamost worth the price I paid anyway.

I ran the 808 kick through it for a really gritty super-bassy sound that I am not sure what to do with yet.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby condit79 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:02 am

Ehx stereo memory man w hazarai is insane. The echo section is great the delay kranked to really fast settings turns it into a filter and almost a ring mod, is stereo, and it loops.

Next is the moogerfooger ring mod. Its amazing for drums, synths, and guitars and can do tremolo or add harmonics to percussion. Oh and the cv with other analog gear is a blast.
soundcloud.com/lvoe
condit79

Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Postby cgren72 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:52 pm

A bit noisy(which isnt bad), but ehx clone theory sounds good. Its hard to play some of my synths without it now
Last edited by cgren72 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgren72

Postby jereopaq » Fri May 04, 2012 10:55 pm

ProCo Rat II distortion pedal. Filter knob is sick. I use it for geetar and synth. Rock solid.
jereopaq

Postby Denms20 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:02 am

Send me the same clip minus the RT20 and I'll run it through the vent and send it back, then you can compare.
garranimal wrote:
Denms20 wrote:This is a little late, but if you're looking for a fake leslie you can do better. I'd steer clear of the RT20. The distortion was horribly digital, more a guitar pedal than a keys pedal in my opinion. I got it to try and spice up an old model CX3. It was better than the horribly cheezy leslie sim in that, but still not where it needed to be. If you need sound clips of one compared to a real leslie let me know.

RT-20 sound is very interesting from the standpoint of running synths through it to get unique motion sounds. Its not tremolo, nor phaser, but a different kind of interesting element of motion. I'm actually using the RT-20 on a track I'm recording now and here's a snippet of a synth pad through it....

Toggling between slow and fast modes.Overdrive = 0, Input selector = keyboard.
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com
Denms20

Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Postby Hybrid88 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Not surprisingly I'm a fan of the old Rolands, CE-1 is great :)
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

PreviousNext

Return to Sound Production