Novation Nova laptop or CP-251?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Novation Nova laptop or CP-251?

Postby SSquirrel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:24 am

Ok, restructuring this post before I finish it. Here is my current (and pre-ordered) synth-related gear. No need to add all my random guitar pedals and such.

Gear:
Roland JX-8P+PG-800
Roland Juno 106
Arturia Minibrute
Moog Minitaur
Korg Monotribe
Moog Freqbox (probably use w/guitar too, but extra OSC and more CV sounded fun)

I've been considering buying a Novation Nova to go with the list of gear above and I'm kind of torn. I like a lot of things about the Nova, including the size, sounds, color and huge bandwidth for vocoding and someone finally put another one up on eBay while I may have money I could spend. The problem is, what kind of price ceiling should I be looking at here? Where do I go beyond the bounds of reasonable and start paying too much? Past $400? $500? I could use some opinions from people who have owned one in the past or own one currently.

The other consideration for the money (currently about $400, but depending on some things, possibly an extra $250-450 available), is to pick up a CP-251 and go farther into CV. Currently my CV gear is limited to the soon to be released Minibrute and Minitaur plus the Moog Freqbox I already snagged. Minibrute Freq Out -> 251 Multi -> Minitaur & Freqbox -> Minibrute Audio in sounds like a nice way to have a dual oscillator synth and duplicated basslines. Plus all the other fun tricks of a Freqbox and 251 paired together. Then again, working w/the aforementioned stuff, my Monotribe and throwing in my JX8P and Juno 106 along with the Nova sounds pretty cool too.

I should probably add that saving a bit more up and buying the Ultranova doesn't interest me. The vocoder loses a ton of bands and considering I will have the Minibrute, as well as the 8P and 106, as controllers if needed, I don't think I need another keyboard on my table right now. Not to mention it isn't nearly as knobby as the Nova :) Altho oddly enough, I would rather have the Mopho keyboard model over just the sound module version, even w/the other stuff I own already.

So I guess the options are:

1) Go for the Nova, but stay under $X.
2) Screw the Nova, grab the 251
3) Screw the Nova, grab the 251 and if that extra $450 comes about, buy X and Y as well
4) Stash the money and save toward something else, like a Phatty w/the CV Mods or sell the Monotribe and buy a Dark Time. Random I know.

I keep plotting and scheming in different directions. I love just playing with sound in general, so getting deeper into CV sounds fun, but I could also use the vocoder for lots of fun and I'm always open to new possibilities. PS, I know I don't have the money to get into full on modular, so screwing around w/CV on Moogerfoogers is about as close as I plan to get at this time.
SSquirrel

Advertisement:

Re: Novation Nova laptop or CP-251?

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:34 am

the minibrute and minitaur are both MIDI, and not CV only...
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Re: Novation Nova laptop or CP-251?

Postby SSquirrel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Ashe37 wrote:the minibrute and minitaur are both MIDI, and not CV only...

Yes I know they both have MIDI, but so are my 8P and 106. I don't care about the MIDI angle. I'll be actively using the CV on the Minibrute and Minitaur to get sounds from both of them together and possibly bring in the extra oscillator of the Freqbox. The Nova would be MIDI controller, but has other fun features.
SSquirrel

Return to Buyer's Guide