Ensoniq Mirage - Soundprocess OS

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Ensoniq Mirage - Soundprocess OS

Postby calyx93 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:00 am

Okay folks - have had a couple of Mirages for a long time now, am familiar with the basics and MASOS, but have always been intrigued by the alternate Soundprocess OS which according to Syntaur:

"turns the Mirage into a digital synthesizer, adds full 16-channel multi-timbral capabilities, gives each sound up to 4 oscillators per voice, and accesses 32 sound programs at once."

I'd like to know if anyone's used/uses it and if they could shed some light on the capabilities beyond what I can read from the Syntaur site. I'd also like to know if anyone has a scan of the manual and tutorial for it - apparently Syntaur can sell you the OS and the preset disks, but are sold out of those (why they didn't scan them to PDF is beyond me). I can't imagine trying to program something that complex using that old two digit LED, which is fine for basic functions, but sound like it'd be a nightmare for Soundprocess.

Thanks in advance - hope someone knows a bit. If not, I'll give Syntaur a call and see if I can find more out.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Moog LP-TE, E-mu EII, Emax 1+2, Kawai SX-240+K-3, Korg DW8000, Ensoniq Mirage +more

Advertisement:

Re: Ensoniq Mirage - Soundprocess OS

Postby tshear23 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:42 am

I had a rackmount Mirage with Soundprocess many, many years ago. It was pretty cool, although very basic and FM-sounding. The sort of thing that you'd probably need to process with a fair amount of effects to get sounding it's best. Very cool trick for a sampler.
tshear23

Gear: Creamware Prodyssey, Roland SH-101 With Novamod, Green Sequential Circuits Pro One, Oberheim Matrix-6R
Band: Assemblage 23

Return to General Synthesizers