Yamaha CS80's "wiggling" keys?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Yamaha CS80's "wiggling" keys?

Postby bassdude » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:14 am

In some of the videos I've seen of the CS80, it looks like you can move the keys from side to side to engage vibrato. I know it has aftertouch. Do the keys actually move side to side, and if so is that how the aftertouch is engaged?

I guess it's because my main instrument is the bass guitar, but I find myself wanting to get a vibrato effect by moving the keys back and forth, much the way you would on a fretless bass or violin. Is this side to side motion available on any other synth?
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha CS80's "wiggling" keys?

Postby synthparts » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:25 am

That's just how some people activate the aftertouch...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com
synthparts

Postby tekkentool » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:29 am

bassdude wrote:In some of the videos I've seen of the CS80, it looks like you can move the keys from side to side to engage vibrato. I know it has aftertouch. Do the keys actually move side to side, and if so is that how the aftertouch is engaged?

I guess it's because my main instrument is the bass guitar, but I find myself wanting to get a vibrato effect by moving the keys back and forth, much the way you would on a fretless bass or violin. Is this side to side motion available on any other synth?

There was one VERY old kind of synthesizer from the 50's or 60's IIRC that had an entire keybed that would swing from side to side on springs to add vibrato with. I have no idea what it was called but it looked like a refrigerator with a keyboard on top of it.

Anybody know the name of the one I'm talking about?

Your other option right now is the eigenharp, every little black key on this thing can swivel side to side to give vibrato or pitch bending.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby madtheory » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:48 am

It was the Yamaha GX-1. From 1973. And it does not look like a fridge! ;) One of the keyboards had side to side motion for vibrato.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby tekkentool » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:36 pm

No, No. Not the gx-1.

The one I'm talking about is much older, a single oscillator tone generation. Had no filter even.

Looked like this but with a keybed on top of it.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Postby Micke » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:07 pm

I believe you're referring to the (Jenny) Ondioline;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ondioline

The Synket (SYNthesizer KEToff, 1964) came with three miniature keyboards whose keys
were touch sensitive and could sense left-right movement (to produce vibrato)
http://colinmcleish.wikispaces.com/Unit+4

"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby stillearning » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:18 pm

It's been years, maybe decades even, since I had it set up, but I remember my trusty old Yamaha YC-30 combo organ having something called 'touch vibrato'. When activated, the wiggling you describe would add vibrato according to the rate and amount of the wiggle.
As always, kindly allow for the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.
stillearning

Postby Micke » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:12 pm

madtheory wrote:It was the Yamaha GX-1. From 1973. And it does not look like a fridge! ;) One of the keyboards had side to side motion for vibrato.

The Yamaha EX-42 organ (1970), the predecessor of the GX-1, also had velocity-sensitivity and,
like the GX-1, the solo keyboard could sense side to side to side motion for vibrato.

Regarding the GX-1, afaik it first appeared in late 1974 and was first shown outside Japan in early 1975.

Here's a video of some guy demonstrating an EX-42:
Watch on youtube.com

This was film composer Lalo Schifrin's favorite organ, and it can be heard on scores such as The Hellstrom
Chronicle (1971), Dirty Harry (1971), Magnum Force (1973) and Enter the dragon (1973).
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby pflosi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:38 pm

"Hi there, uuuuh, music lovers, fellow keyboard surfers and music lunatics, uuuuhm..."

:lol: Awesome. What an announcement. And writ cannot couch his nerdy accentuation. Would also make a nice sample.

Thanks so much Micke for posting great stuff!
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby madtheory » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Coooooooooooool!!!
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby tekkentool » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:52 pm

That's it! The ondioline! I saw this video of it a while back, outstandingly expressive.

Watch on youtube.com
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:17 am

stillearning wrote:It's been years, maybe decades even, since I had it set up, but I remember my trusty old Yamaha YC-30 combo organ having something called 'touch vibrato'. When activated, the wiggling you describe would add vibrato according to the rate and amount of the wiggle.

YC-45D does this as well, it's cool.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby bassdude » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:03 pm

So the keys on the CS80 do in fact move side to side? And there are no modern keyboards that have this feature?
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby plikestechno » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:13 pm

I move the keys of my Prophet T8 side to side for touch. Much easier on the hands and I find I get finer control than simply pressing straight down.
Last edited by plikestechno on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serge/ModcanA/Frac/MOTM Modular/Blippoo Box/Andromeda/Jupe6Eur/OctaveCatSRM/CZ1/SEIV/Pro Soloist/Korg770/Juno60/MultimanS/Minibrute/Microbrute/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/MicrowaveXT/Syncussion/FS1R/Weevil2012/Microkorg/Xoxio/MC202/JD990/MKS50/TX816.
plikestechno

Gear: Lots. See sig.

Postby philip » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:52 pm

outside Japan in early 1975.

Here's a video of some guy demonstrating an EX-42:
Watch on youtube.com

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
philip

Next

Return to General Synthesizers