Value of Formanta Polivoks

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Value of Formanta Polivoks

Postby Mr. DiSco » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:20 am

What would you consider an ok deal for a Polivoks these days? I'm looking at the possibility of getting one right now plus, one of my friends is actually going on a trip to Russia in a week or so and he might pick up one for our band... :D
Mr. DiSco

Advertisement:

Re: Value of Formanta Polivoks

Postby Solderman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:42 pm

I can't speak for getting one overseas, but I bought mine from a VSE member 3 years ago for $1000, and it included a CV/Gate mod. The filter cutoff pot was in horrible shape and it had a problem with keyboard pitch scaling on oscillator 2 that got worse in duophonic mode. A few months after it arrived, the main smoothing capacitors for the power supply failed.

Point being is these are not very well made and nearly always have problems, so just buying one is risky if you do not have a good tech. I've got everything on mine working except that for now the keyboard pitch scaling takes 80 minutes to stabilize, and duophonic mode pitch tracking is still broken. There is a calibration for it I still need to do, but I'm doubtful the problem will completely disappear.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg v1, CS15(mod), Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), ESQ1, Virus b

Postby Mr. DiSco » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 pm

I knew there were a quite a lot of reliability problems but I didn't think it was so bad. I'm going to reconsider the idea of picking up one so quickly, thank you!
Mr. DiSco

Postby deeplodok » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Mr.Disco, I live in Russia, Saint-Petersberg and can provide you with a good stable serviced unit and if needed can do few kinda usefull mods to it like increasing lfo range, 2vocice portamento and midi support.
just PM me and we can discuss details.
deeplodok

Return to Buyer's Guide