Help: Roland SH101

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Help: Roland SH101

Postby telemaster18 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi,

I've got a Roland SH101 that I picked up sometime back and didn't really use it only a handful of times. The other day I fancied a 'mess about' with it so set it up. I used a Boss power adaptor from my guitar pedals that I've used in the past. It was working fine for about twenty minutes the stopped. I tried another power adaptor but still nothing. So I opened it up just and saw on the circuit board by D8 and L1 it was burnt or blown a little bit.

Anyway my question is how easy a fix is it? Who will be able to fix it and source the parts? (The diode and inductor)

I'm looking to sell as well if anybody is interested; what sort of price can I get new/broken?

Thanks in advance,

Josh
telemaster18

Advertisement:

Re: Help: Roland SH101

Postby Jay200MPH » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:35 pm

A friend and I just ordered some bits for his SH101 & my x0xb0x from http://vintageplanet.nl, who were great - very quick turnaround and totally reasonable shipping cost. The tuning pot was used & desoldered (presumably from another SH101) but it was in perfect shape so no problem. (It says right on the page whether a part will be new or not.) I'd recommend them, especially if you're in Europe.

The 101 has pretty simple circuitry and is easy to work on by hand, not at all like later stuff where you need to be laser-precise. If you're decent with a soldering iron you should have no problem.
Jay200MPH

Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Re: Help: Roland SH101

Postby ApolloBoy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:39 pm

What were the specs of the power supplies you used? The SH-101 is supposed to use a 9V tip negative power supply. I'm thinking maybe you used a power supply with the wrong polarity, which could cause the damage you described.
Had: DX7, AX-60, SR-16, Yamaha TQ5, 01/WFD, Juno-106, MG-1
Want: Jupiter-8, Pro-One, CS-50, Promars
ApolloBoy

Gear: Korg Monotron
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha DD-5

Return to HELP!