akai s2000 harddrive woes

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

akai s2000 harddrive woes

Postby nuketifromorbit » Sat May 05, 2012 2:58 am

I just picked up a 1gig harddrive for the akai s2000 from mpcstuff's ebay store and low and behold I can't get the fucking thing to work. I never had any trouble getting my scsi for samplers cf card reader functioning....

Anyhow I've got the scsi ID number matching, but I'm wondering if I'm supposed to turn the harddrive on first or last? The manual doesn't really give a clear answer and I'm kind of terrified to experiment through trial and error. I keep receiving the same drive isn't ready response whenever I try to format or arrange the drive.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Re: akai s2000 harddrive woes

Postby Don T » Sat May 05, 2012 4:08 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:I just picked up a 1gig harddrive for the akai s2000 from mpcstuff's ebay store and low and behold I can't get the fucking thing to work. I never had any trouble getting my scsi for samplers cf card reader functioning....

Anyhow I've got the scsi ID number matching, but I'm wondering if I'm supposed to turn the harddrive on first or last? The manual doesn't really give a clear answer and I'm kind of terrified to experiment through trial and error. I keep receiving the same drive isn't ready response whenever I try to format or arrange the drive.

I know this is a different animal, but old Macs had scsi drives, and it was usual practice to turn an external drive on first, so that it would already be spinning as the Mac booted.

I'm assuming Akai has some unique format for a hard drive, but if it isn't formatted at all, and you have, or a friend has, and older Mac with scsi either internal, or with an external port, the Mac should be able to tell you if the drive is working or not. There's an old utility that should be on the Mac that can scan, erase, format, partition, etc. scsi drives. I just can't remember the name at the moment.
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)
Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Re: akai s2000 harddrive woes

Postby Altitude » Tue May 08, 2012 8:04 pm

This is external I assume? How many things are in your chain/ do you have it terminated correctly? I say power up the drive first as well
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to HELP!