Machinedrum+Vermona DRM1 VS. DSi Tempest

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Machinedrum+Vermona DRM1 VS. DSi Tempest

Postby Kalven » Wed May 30, 2012 3:58 am

Hi there folks. I've been looking into getting some outboard drums. I'm interested in analogue, and was considering the Vermona DRM1 MKII. However, I really like the Roland style sequencer of the Machinedrum. Which is not Analogue, but looks like an exceptionally flexible machine. The Tempest looks amazing too, but the price tag is a little extreme, and I'm not really interested in playing live. I make electronic music, but not with the intent of playing it out live. I make trax. Many of the Tempest's features, however impressive seem to be geared more towards a
live playing situation. I can't help but feel like I'd be spending a lot on features that I may, or may not use.
So taking into consideration the Roland style sequencer of the Machinedrum(that can be routed to other devices), and the fact that I could spread the purchase out in two parts, I was thinking of buying a Machinedrum, and then the Vermona DRM at a later date. The MD could control the DRM, and is obviously a powerful tool on it's own. The Vermona looks like it will sound amazing and all reviews I've read have been favorable. AND, it's analogue. I feel like I have a good plan, for a well rounded drum solution. I probably wouldn't ever need to get any more drums ever, short of maybe some vintage gems.....I also like that I could rack it all up.......
.....But, it's a lot of money, and there isn't any where here in Portland(that I know of) where I can test drive a DRM.
I'd like the opinions of others.
So, "Machinedrum+Vermona DRM1 Vs. DSi Tempest"

Thanks for your time.
-K
Kalven

Gear: Machinedrum SPS-1 MK1, MAM MB 33 mkII, Moog Slim Phatty, DSi Desktop Evolver, ART PRO Vla II, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Ableton Live 8.1.4
Band: DJ/Producer

Advertisement:

Re: Machinedrum+Vermona DRM1 VS. DSi Tempest

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed May 30, 2012 6:02 am

If what you want is 'analogue outboard drums', then the DRM1 is what you want. The Tempest is cool but the things that make it cool aren't the drum things so much, they're the ways you can play it like a cross between an MPC and a synth and the way it blurs the ground between those two things.

I have an Octatrack and I'd like to add a DRM1 if I could manage it, the Elektron sequencer is pretty great. I haven't used the Machinedrum sequencer but if it's as good as the Octatrack one then that would be a killer drum setup. Could be worth thinking about the Octatrack instead of the MD if you're not going to be using the MD for the drums so much, the Octatrack is a great drum machine on its own but I think would be more complimentary to the DRM than the MD.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Kalven » Wed May 30, 2012 6:45 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:If what you want is 'analogue outboard drums', then the DRM1 is what you want. The Tempest is cool but the things that make it cool aren't the drum things so much, they're the ways you can play it like a cross between an MPC and a synth and the way it blurs the ground between those two things.

I have an Octatrack and I'd like to add a DRM1 if I could manage it, the Elektron sequencer is pretty great. I haven't used the Machinedrum sequencer but if it's as good as the Octatrack one then that would be a killer drum setup. Could be worth thinking about the Octatrack instead of the MD if you're not going to be using the MD for the drums so much, the Octatrack is a great drum machine on its own but I think would be more complimentary to the DRM than the MD.

Thanks for the words. I'm definitely interested in the Octatrack as well, but sampling I think is the last thing I want to add "out of the box". Ableton handles those needs for me....and I mean that like I have a plan/vision, and Octo is in said plan, its just at the end. Didn't mean that condescending like. :)
But my main reason for lookin at the MD was it's 16 track sequencer. Thats twice the trax of the Octo I presume. That means I could use it to run the DRM and still have half the sequencer left for whatever else. Thats pretty appealing to me. Originally I was focused solely on the DRM, but as I looked at sequencers, none of them really fit what I wanted, a Roland style, punch in, 16 step sequencer. The Electribe stuff looked kinda flimsy, and wasn't rackable. The tr626 has shuffle and midi out but is a little too retro. Livid controllers are way nice, but just that, controllers. Then I started lookin at the MD. Seems like a perfect fit, but I think it comes before the DRM. Otherwise I'll have to half step on some sort of sequencer to run it or get something I'm not quite stoked on. I dont wanna get 1000 Drum synth and then just run it out of Ableton. I love Live, but I want a new interface. :)
...and the one I'm lookin at just happens to have a ton of drums too!!
Thanks again. I was expecting a choir of "Get the Tempest". Octo, or MD, I'm drawn to the idea of a multi part Vermona/Elektron drum solution. Might even come in a lil cheaper.
Oscillation Nation
Kalven

Gear: Machinedrum SPS-1 MK1, MAM MB 33 mkII, Moog Slim Phatty, DSi Desktop Evolver, ART PRO Vla II, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Ableton Live 8.1.4

Postby hyphen nation » Wed May 30, 2012 8:15 am

Hey Stab,

Not to quickly highjack this, but what do you think of the idea of a mini modular analog drum set up versus the vermona? I am on the fence between these as a way to introduce some sweet analog drums to the mix. I love the Machinedrum, and have always intended to pick up the DRM1, but honestly your last few modular drum posts have had me looking at a tip top happy ending and some drum modules...
hyphen nation

Gear: boxes that make noises

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed May 30, 2012 8:18 am

That makes sense, like I said I haven't used the MD so I wasn't aware it was a 16 track sequencer.

If the MD is like the OT then you can save midi tracks by recording multiple parts on the same track, for example with mine I use CH 10 C2, D2, E2 and F2 to trigger the four trigger outputs in my modular. If I want to jam around with them I have each note on a separate track (usually use 5-8) so I can mute them individually but if I'm just going with a song structure I can record all four triggers on a single track to free up the other three. It's not as simple as just pressing the step key, you need to hold it and turn a knob, but if you already know how the beat is gonna go then you can fit four triggers on a single step.

That said, the MD would be a good option. I'd think pretty hard about getting the UW over the regular version, seem like you can do a lot more with it than just drums.

As someone who's come from using Live to an Octatrack I'll just let you know that you're in for a treat if/when you do get one. I've had mine maybe six months and I still have moments where I figure out a way of doing something with it that blows my mind.

This thread is making me look at DRM1s again and think that they're not that big or expensive for me to not have one...
Stab Frenzy

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed May 30, 2012 8:30 am

hyphen nation wrote:Hey Stab,

Not to quickly highjack this, but what do you think of the idea of a mini modular analog drum set up versus the vermona? I am on the fence between these as a way to introduce some sweet analog drums to the mix. I love the Machinedrum, and have always intended to pick up the DRM1, but honestly your last few modular drum posts have had me looking at a tip top happy ending and some drum modules...

I think for the money the DRM is more flexible and better value, the tip top 808 modules are cool, I've got the BD, but you don't have as much control over the sound as you do with the Vermona. For example you can't change the pitch of it, so a lot of the time I'll sample it into the OT to put it in key with the song I'm working on which kind of defeats the purpose of having it in the rig. Running sequences and modular logic to the trigger input is fun though. I always think the DRM costs as much as the Jomox 888 for some reason, they're cheaper than they should be really.

For the price of the four TTA 808 modules, a midi to trigger convertor, a mixer to mix them and a happy ending kit you could get a DRM1, which has more control over parameters and if you get the trigger option can be triggered from the modular too. And it's got twice as many voice.

Wow, I'm doing a really good job of convincing myself I need to get one of these... :D
Stab Frenzy

Postby Kalven » Wed May 30, 2012 9:25 am

Sounds like you should!! There's one with out triggers on ebay for 825. http://www.ebay.com/itm/280890433279?ss ... 1423.l2649

The JoMox stuff looks nice too, but to get a full drum palette they're expensive.

Thanks again for the input, and for the routing heads up. I think I'm a little closer to my final decision.

-K
Oscillation Nation
Kalven

Postby hyphen nation » Wed May 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
hyphen nation wrote:Hey Stab,

I think for the money the DRM is more flexible and better value, the tip top 808 modules are cool, I've got the BD, but you don't have as much control over the sound as you do with the Vermona. For example you can't change the pitch of it, so a lot of the time I'll sample it into the OT to put it in key with the song I'm working on which kind of defeats the purpose of having it in the rig. Running sequences and modular logic to the trigger input is fun though. I always think the DRM costs as much as the Jomox 888 for some reason, they're cheaper than they should be really.

For the price of the four TTA 808 modules, a midi to trigger convertor, a mixer to mix them and a happy ending kit you could get a DRM1, which has more control over parameters and if you get the trigger option can be triggered from the modular too. And it's got twice as many voice.

Wow, I'm doing a really good job of convincing myself I need to get one of these... :D

Ha! Perfect, thanks!!! This is super helpful.
hyphen nation

Gear: boxes that make noises

Postby Kalven » Wed May 30, 2012 9:17 pm

These were actually my first posts, and I have to say thanks for the help. I also had no idea that the Tempest had so many issues. After reading a different thread on this site, I saw that the Tempest has already been talked about and broken down. I'm sure DSi will fix whatever the issues are, but for 2G, I'll pass on being a bug-finder.........Thanks again gents. I like this place. :)
Oscillation Nation
Kalven

Postby Kalven » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:16 am

So, I went for it. Got my Machinedrum in the mail two days ago. I've barely been able to get off of it to sleep and make more coffee. :) I LOVE IT. Instantly got it goin and was programming my 303 clone and drums off the sequencer. This thing is sick! I didn't get the UW, as I was able to get the SPS-1 MK1 for a good deal. Now of course there's a UW version on ebay for 100 less than what I payed, but we'll see if that holds out. Lol. On my way to total drum solution nirvana! Thanks again for the tips! :mrgreen:
Oscillation Nation
Kalven

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Awesome! Glad you're having fun with it.
Stab Frenzy

Postby n3wt15 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:23 pm

I cant comment on the tempest yet, i have one on the way though so will update later on.
The machinedrum for the most part is very digital sounding, but with some tweeking you can get some nice warm tones from it. Its very flexible, and pairs up with something more organic sounding very nicely, I used to use it with my spectralis and they were quite the pair, after selling that I started sequencing my Ddrum4se brain with the machinedrum and found that combo to be awesome as well.

I have a tempest on the way, and cant wait to stick it in this mix, so once i have a bit of time to play with it I will update this.
n3wt15

Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Return to Synth Shootouts