Vermona PerFOURmer mkii

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Vermona PerFOURmer mkii

Postby photomoto » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:02 am

Hi, I'm very interested in the perfourmer mkii. I was wondering if there was anywhere in the uk to demo this synth, London would be nice...any other thoughts about this synth would be good, will it be a good investment or a flop in future
photomoto

Advertisement:

Re: Vermona PerFOURmer mkii

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:15 pm

I wouldn't buy it thinking it's flexible enough to be a poly synth. It's probably loads more stable, but my mono/poly was practically useless as a polysynth. If it were me, i'd buy it for the sake of it being one bad 4 osc monosynth and disregard it for its poly uses.

I'm not sure if you can use it this way - but it'd be cool if each voice received on a different channel so you could use it for different parts. snappy envelopes for drums would be agreeable as well.
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:54 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:I'm not sure if you can use it this way - but it'd be cool if each voice received on a different channel so you could use it for different parts. snappy envelopes for drums would be agreeable as well.

That's exactly what it's made to do. It's not a 4 osc monosynth, although it can be patched to resemble one.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:57 pm

well then there you have it :)
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Sir Ruff » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:11 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:I wouldn't buy it thinking it's flexible enough to be a poly synth. It's probably loads more stable, but my mono/poly was practically useless as a polysynth.

Why not? It IS a true polysynth, whereas the monopoly is not. I wouldn't see this as a secondary feature, but rather the one that makes it the most interesting, i.e. each voice can be altered within a polyphonic patch. It's very much like a 4-voice in that sense.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:19 pm

I owned the original PerFourmer and the MkII adds a lot of really useful features like PWM and osc sync.

My only real complaint with the new model is the price, it's almost double here in the USA compared to the original (shot from $1100 to $1900). I don't know if UK/Euro pricing is more reasonable.

The polyphonic mode is very retro, as Sir Ruff mentioned you can't really get all four voices to sound identical and doing tweaks while playing means you have to tweak all four. On the other hand, using it as a multi-timbral analog mono is very interesting, stack up voices on one channel to create complex sounds, use it as four monos on four channels, it's pretty flexible. Because it is analog, the FM mode is mainly for noise-making, the osc drift makes precision FM programming impossible. It's certainly useful if you will be sequencing it most of the time.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Postby Sir Ruff » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:41 pm

Yeah, it's really a bummer about the price... I'd love to try one.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Return to Buyer's Guide