Triadex "The Muse" score!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Triadex "The Muse" score!

Postby AdamAnt316 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Hello, everyone. Haven't posted here in years (last posted about an ARP Solus which seemed dead, but has recently been resurrected by a friend of mine). Anyway, I attended today's "Flea at MIT" in Cambridge, MA, near the famed university. Saw all sorts of computers, audio gear, test equipment, etc. Within about five minutes of entering, I came across an outdoor space where stuff was still being set up. The first thing which drew my attention were the numerous Sinclair computers from the early '80s sitting haphazardly around the booth. I scanned the booth, and when my eyes reached the ground, I spotted something which a friend had pointed out to me on eBay years ago, but I hadn't done much thinking about since: a Triadex "The Muse" sequencer/synthesizer, along with it's matching Light Show module! :shocked:

I didn't recall what it was, or what it did, but I knew it might be something special. I asked the seller what it was, and he thought it was some sort of color organ (and I spent the rest of the meet thinking it was something along those lines, until I got home and looked it up online). I asked him what he wanted for it, and he responded with $40. :blink: Sold! :yahoo: Rather appropriate that I found it at the MIT flea market, since it was designed by two MIT professors back in the early '70s.

I got it home, unearthed the main unit from it's box (both still have at least most of the original packaging), plugged it in, turned it on, and it worked! Some of the sliders are stiff (need to get some Faderlube, methinks), but it lights up, and produces sound. Haven't tested the Light Show module yet, but it should be interesting. Kinda wish I'd gotten the Amplifier module with it, but I'll live. :D
-Adam
AdamAnt316

Gear: Mattel Optigan 35012
Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list
Band: Dr. Optigan

Advertisement:

Re: Triadex "The Muse" score!

Postby GuyaGuy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Pics and vids or GTFO
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby walkathon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Absolutely beyond jealous, congrats! For the gear's sake, enjoy it and don't flip it. ;)
walkathon

Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Postby schmidtc » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Nice one! I've only turned up a bunch of broken crap at swapfest, and erm. . . the quality products for sale in my truckbed.
schmidtc

Postby schmidtc » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:50 pm

Hey, just to spin the jealousy table on local deals i've missed (like that $300 prophet t-8 a while back). I picked up an optigan 35011 and 10 discs for $80 in Providence last month. Of course, it doesn't work but well, you know. . .

Also there's a good chance the amp would be there next month. cross ye fingas
schmidtc

Postby AdamAnt316 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:45 am

schmidtc wrote:Nice one! I've only turned up a bunch of broken crap at swapfest, and erm. . . the quality products for sale in my truckbed.

I haven't seen too many nice synths at the MIT swap, but they turn up from time to time. A friend of mine picked up a Roland Juno 106 there recently; needs a lot more work than the seller said it would, but should be fixable for him. I've had a few minor keyboard finds there, including a Casio SK-1, and a Multivox "Fullrotor" Leslie speaker simulator. My previous best flea market keyboard find wasn't at the MIT swap, but at the NEAR-Fest ham radio swapmeet: a Farfisa Compact combo organ for all of $50. Needed a fair amount of repair work, but it played to some extent, and is a major part of my keyboard setup.

GuyaGuy wrote:Pics and vids or GTFO

Since you asked so nicely... ;)

Watch on youtube.com

Apologies for the less-than-stellar quality of the pictures and video; the image sensor in my digital camera is on it's way out, and the basement doesn't have the best lighting anyway.
-Adam
AdamAnt316

Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list

Postby analoglsd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:35 am

Congratulations! What an amazing score!
For a while I had wanted a Tridex Muse, and when I finally got one, I was fairly disappointed.(granted, I paid about $500 more than you did for the Muse alone)
That being said, if you feed it through a good filter and some effects, it can be tons of fun.
I would love to see it in conjunction with the Light Show module.
That has to be amazing.
Best $40 you'll ever spend.
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Eurorack vs. MPC1000
Band: USAforLSD

Postby CZ Rider » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Nice score Adam!
Those things are cool little mystery boxes. Not really sure just what the controls do as far as the composition. Any chance there was a manual or some info that could shed some light on the function of those 8 sliders? I have seen many pics and actually played with one back in 1979, but never read much documentation on these or what exactly the computation was.
First thing we wanted to do with one back in'79, was get a CV and gate out to run another synth from it. But there is an old WIN95 program that outputs MIDI for anyone with MUSE gas that would like to try one. The program runs fine on a WIN XP machine I have here. It just hiccups sometimes when you change settings. But you could always fix that in a recorded MIDI file latter. And the software will run up to 4 instances for some polyphonic MUSE fun. Have a recording somewhere with a four part Moog modular sequence via that MUSE software.
Here is a link to the old page with the small and very cool MUSE emulator.
The Muse simulator software for Windows

EDIT:
Found a little clip with that MUSE software with the 4 part Moog.
CZ Rider

Postby AdamAnt316 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:01 pm

analoglsd wrote:Congratulations! What an amazing score!
For a while I had wanted a Tridex Muse, and when I finally got one, I was fairly disappointed.(granted, I paid about $500 more than you did for the Muse alone)
That being said, if you feed it through a good filter and some effects, it can be tons of fun.
I would love to see it in conjunction with the Light Show module.
That has to be amazing.
Best $40 you'll ever spend.

Yeah, I'm not sure I would've paid full retail for something like this, but it's a lot of fun regardless (and definitely worth it for the price I paid). I'll try and take a video of it with the Light Show module once I get the Muse itself working a bit better. I have yet to figure out how I'm going to make use of it, but it definitely offers some possibilities.

CZ Rider wrote:Nice score Adam!
Those things are cool little mystery boxes. Not really sure just what the controls do as far as the composition. Any chance there was a manual or some info that could shed some light on the function of those 8 sliders? I have seen many pics and actually played with one back in 1979, but never read much documentation on these or what exactly the computation was.
First thing we wanted to do with one back in'79, was get a CV and gate out to run another synth from it. But there is an old WIN95 program that outputs MIDI for anyone with MUSE gas that would like to try one. The program runs fine on a WIN XP machine I have here. It just hiccups sometimes when you change settings. But you could always fix that in a recorded MIDI file latter. And the software will run up to 4 instances for some polyphonic MUSE fun. Have a recording somewhere with a four part Moog modular sequence via that MUSE software.

I have yet to plumb it's incredible depths, but it has all sorts of potential. I did get the manual "How to make Muse music" with it, so that should help me get started (though most of what I do with it will likely be improvisational in nature). The main Trovar page about the Muse actually has that manual, along with another one, available for viewing (if not outright downloading; wish they offered it as a PDF rather than a series of image files). The Muse did have provisions for daisy-chaining several Muses together, but I have no idea how this system compares to CV/gate (maybe if it can be figured out, I could try connecting it to my ARP Solus, or somesuch). A shame the Muse emulator is PC-only; wish they offered a Mac version (or at least something that worked using Java or Flash). Intriguing stuff nevertheless, and that 4-part Moog piece is pretty cool.
-Adam
AdamAnt316

Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list

Postby n3wt15 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Good score indeed, if you get bored with it, shoot me a PM. Id be happy to buy it off you ;-)

Ive been interested in picking one up for a while, though usually when I do see them, they are too much for what its worth I think...Its more a cool looking unit and interface then anything.
n3wt15

Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Postby AdamAnt316 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:39 am

n3wt15 wrote:Ive been interested in picking one up for a while, though usually when I do see them, they are too much for what its worth I think...Its more a cool looking unit and interface then anything.

It certainly does look cool, and the interface is quite interesting. To me, there's nothing quite like the original hardware when it comes to stuff like this. Moving the sliders with your hands while the unit is operating, and hearing the pattern change as you do, makes for a fascinating effect. Not to mention that there are actual components behind the front panel you're monkeying with, being affected by your various machinations. Not sure if the amount of fun justifies the 'retail' price, but it's a blast and a half, that's for sure. :D

Minor update: I picked up some DeOxit D5 and Faderlube (pricy stuff!) at the local electronics emporium, and applied it to the sliders. While they're not perfect, they're definitely at least a little better than they were. I'm planning to unearth the Light Show module soon, and take some pics/videos of the two units operating together (I'll have to find a better camera for the purpose). Stay tuned!
-Adam
AdamAnt316

Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list

Postby Micke » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Congrat's on the Triadex Adam :)

A little bit of trivia; Eddie Jobson used one of those for most of the sequencer stuff on UK's selftitled debut album, eg the
high-pitched seq stuff on "By the light of day".
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby AdamAnt316 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Micke wrote:Congrat's on the Triadex Adam :)

A little bit of trivia; Eddie Jobson used one of those for most of the sequencer stuff on UK's selftitled debut album, eg the
high-pitched seq stuff on "By the light of day".

Cool! I can definitely hear it during "By The Light Of Day" (sounds like it's being fed through a phaser or a similar effects unit), but not sure about the other sequencer-type sounds on the album. Wish there was a comprehensive list somewhere of artists who've used the thing; the Wiki article about the Muse lists a few, but Mr. Jobson isn't one of them, and I can't recall hearing of any of them.
-Adam
AdamAnt316

Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list

Postby Micke » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:40 pm

I just re-read the keyboard article on Eddie Jobson and from what I understand all of the high-pitched sequencer stuff
on the first UK album was done with the Triadex.

What other sequencer type sounds on that album are you referring to?

The low sequencer on "Nevermore" was done on an ARP 2500 which was in the studio. All the other sounds on the album were done on the CS-80. Eddie also mentions that, at the time of the interview (oct '78), he didn't yet use a sequencer on the VCS-3.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby AdamAnt316 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:02 am

Micke wrote:I just re-read the keyboard article on Eddie Jobson and from what I understand all of the high-pitched sequencer stuff
on the first UK album was done with the Triadex.

What other sequencer type sounds on that album are you referring to?

The low sequencer on "Nevermore" was done on an ARP 2500 which was in the studio. All the other sounds on the album were done on the CS-80. Eddie also mentions that, at the time of the interview (oct '78), he didn't yet use a sequencer on the VCS-3.

Which article is this? Is it about just the self-titled UK album, or other albums as well? Might be an interesting read.

The 'other sequencer-type sounds' I was referring to was the rapid sequence which pops up during Alaska, and continues into Time To Kill. What confused me was the pitchbend it makes early on during Time To Kill; I wasn't sure if the Muse would achieve that effect in the manner heard, but I tried adjusting the pitch slider while I had a rapid sequence going, and it did sound similar. Will have to do some critical listening with headphones to see whatever else might pop up.

In other Muse-related news, I've finally pulled the Light Show module out of it's box, hooked it up to the Muse, and it works quite nicely! :) Pics and video to follow soon.
-Adam
AdamAnt316

Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list

Next