Korg DW8000 opinions please

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Korg DW8000 opinions please

Postby gs » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:11 pm

walkathon wrote:If the DW-8000 falls through, don't forget the DSS-1. Covers same ground yet a whole lot more, and eternally underrated.

Damn right about that. 8-)

I lusted after this one a year after buying my DW back in the 80s, but couldn't afford it. Finally got one in '03 and had it up until about '10. It's a beast. Same analog filters as DW, improved 12-bit waveforms over the DW's 8-bit (had a beefier sound as a result), twin DDLs over the DW's single one, and best improvement of all: OSCILLATOR SYNC on sampled waveforms -- a synthesizer rarity.
Roland JD-800, Korg Z1, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-350, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M, Arturia CS-80V, VAZ Modular, co-author of MinimogueVA and Arppe2600va.
gs

Advertisement:

Postby c-level » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:37 pm

ive certainly found a place in my studio for my poly 800, im growing increasingly interested with trying a DW and seeing how the additional waveforms compare....
c-level

Gear: Juno106, JX8P, JX3P, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, E6400 Ultra Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, M-Audio CX-8 Monitors, Focusrite Pro40
Band: C-Level

Postby rschnier » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:38 pm

gs wrote:
walkathon wrote:If the DW-8000 falls through, don't forget the DSS-1. Covers same ground yet a whole lot more, and eternally underrated.

Damn right about that. 8-)

Same analog filters as DW, improved 12-bit waveforms over the DW's 8-bit (had a beefier sound as a result), twin DDLs over the DW's single one, and best improvement of all: OSCILLATOR SYNC on sampled waveforms -- a synthesizer rarity.

If you're looking for a DSS-1 and come across a DSM-1 (rackmount version), be aware that the DSM-1 does have some differences from a DSS-1, which are covered elsewhere in these forums. Which is "better" depends on what you're looking for.
-- R.
rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Silverfish » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:47 am

rschnier wrote:If you're looking for a DSS-1 and come across a DSM-1 (rackmount version), be aware that the DSM-1 does have some differences from a DSS-1, which are covered elsewhere in these forums. Which is "better" depends on what you're looking for.

Isn't the biggest difference the lack of the filter? Kind of a deal-breaker for many, since that's one of the things people rave about on the DSS-1.
Silverfish

Band: Silverfish

Postby rschnier » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:28 pm

It's the lack of the digital delays, and that the Q parameter on the filters isn't controllable. However, there are a couple other areas where the DSM-1 is better, so the choice depends on what you value the most.

Details at http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/dss-1/diff.htm
-- R.
rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby elmosexwhistle » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:18 am

I sampled a load of patches from it into kontakt, and made this demo:

http://soundcloud.com/elmosexwhistle/dw8000-kontakt-demo

i think it shows off it's character nicely :)
elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Postby 30h5 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:18 am

I may be in the minority, but I had an EX-8000 for a while and wasn't particularly impressed with it. It sounded very 80's to me (not necessarily a bad thing) and I swear I heard a preset from it in a KRS-1 song. It did have a delay on it which I didn't use enough admittedly, but the sound for me was so 80's and I was never satisfied with any patches I made. I never found anything particularly usable. I think I remember seeing an old thread from Joey in which he stated that Crystal Castles used one and he couldn't believe the bass that was coming out of it, but I could very well be wrong. It has a lot of love around here and makes me wonder if I missed something... :?
30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: SH2, VSynth, FRXS, FR777, MDUWmk1, MG-1

Previous

Return to Buyer's Guide