Experiences with PAIA 9700s modular systems?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Experiences with PAIA 9700s modular systems?

Postby Bitexion » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:24 pm

I'd like to get a small-ish modular that is somewhat different from my present big system.

The PAIA 9700 looks neat, has packed several "normal" modules into one so they don't take so much space. And they're quite cheap too, PAIA has a sale on a premade system now. Any of you guys have any experience with them? I'm thinking of a pre-built one, don't trust my soldering skills enough to order a parts set. Or my patience :)

http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=P9700S&cat=12

Alot of punch in so little rack space. The VCO module has 2 vcos, the filter one has two filters, etc.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Advertisement:

Re: Experiences with PAIA 9700s modular systems?

Postby Arddhu » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm pretty certain you'd still have to put it together. As far as I'm aware it's just a package of all the modules instead of buying them individually.
My muzak:
Arddhu
Arddhu

Gear: Cheese, a brick and some salad.

Postby kvnvk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:53 pm

I had a 9700 system about a dozen years ago, ordered each module one at a time as I could afford them and they came as kits, had to solder everything to the board myself. don't remember if they offered pre-assembled modules. a quick look at the 9700S page on their site doesn't seem to indicate they do though you could always contact them and ask. I do remember calling the company several times to ask questions and they were always friendly and helpful.
kvnvk

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:25 am

My first modular was a 9700 system.

While you can buy the second series of 9700 modules assembled, the original modules are still listed as kit only. It's a fun instrument though rather quirky.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:38 pm

fyi - I don't see that that's a "sale" price. that's the regular price AFAIK. I was after one of these for a while and just never put the money into it. Not that the court of public opinion has THAT much to offer, but given as I'm in Synth diy just about every day and no one EVER mentions the 9700s it should raise some red flags. again, not quantifiable advice, but worth noting. it has its quirks for sure.
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to Buyer's Guide