For first analog synth, Moog Prodigy Or Moog Source?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Postby SP4CEC4SIO » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:19 pm

SP4CEC4SIO
SP4CEC4SIO

Gear: MicroKorg XL
Circuit Bent " Noise-Cat"
Circuit Bent Casio SK-1
MicroMoog

Advertisement:

Re: For first analog synth, Moog Prodigy Or Moog Source?

Postby silikon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:13 pm

Uhh... is this one of those trick questions? :)

Assuming you can't/won't venture out of the self-confined walls you have generated, Prodigy. Source has a less direct interface - one data wheel and many membrane buttons.

If you're staying within relatively inexpensive vintage moog mono, (relative to a minimoog, for example) then Micromoog.
If you're staying within relatively inexpensive moog mono, (recent or vintage) Little Phatty.

Unless you're dead set on vintage (nothing wrong with that at all -- just know what you're getting into with vintage gear and the upkeep, whatnot) I would suggest something current or relatively recent as a first, like a Mopho Keyboard or something that gives you a relatively easy interface.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby Rick N Boogie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:06 am

I whole heartedly agree. Unless you want vintage for a specific reason, you're much better off with something modern and reliable. Both the Moog Little Phatty, and the DSI MoPho keyboard are excellent choices for a beginner, (which I am also, and using one of each). The MoPho brand new is less money than any new or old Moog synth.
Bassist, synth junkie
Rick N Boogie

Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/Fusion 6/Tempest
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Postby SP4CEC4SIO » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks for the help, but I'm still deadset on vintage. I may sound absurd to you guys, but I feel that older synths have a lot more heart than the newer ones. I've had a lot of experience with analog modeling synths and I think a real vintage synth like a Prodigy would be perfect for me now. I understand where you guys are coming from, but these newer synths aren't the same to me. I've used and borrowed friends' vintage synths so I understand all the care and upkeep needed.
SP4CEC4SIO
SP4CEC4SIO

Circuit Bent Casio SK-1
MicroMoog

Postby silikon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:48 pm

SP4CEC4SIO wrote:I've had a lot of experience with analog modeling synths and I think a real vintage synth like a Prodigy would be perfect for me now. I understand where you guys are coming from, but these newer synths aren't the same to me.

Just to be clear; I never mentioned anything about virtual analog machines. Nothing in my suggestion was VA.

SP4CEC4SIO wrote: I may sound absurd to you guys, but I feel that older synths have a lot more heart than the newer ones.

As much as I disagree with you on that statement, It probably isn't the right forum to discuss... ;)

It's no absurdity, it's just that you didn't mention anything about having any background with synths in any form, other than your assertion that this would be your first. You didn't mention if you had experience with subtractive synthesis in any fashion.

It's best when asking for advice to state as much information as you can so that those you ask for advice aren't bewildered by your very general and non-specific query.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby Grumblepig » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:35 am

I know this is a little bit of a side-step, but I'm hoping it's helpful. I posted elsewhere in Synth Shootouts recently, wondering between an old Yamaha CS 5 and a new Dopefer Dark Energy. I've had a fair amount of experience with analog(ue - sorry, living in the UK now and have to play by the Queen's rules!), so I knew that I didn't want another digital synth. I ended up picking up the Dopefer and I really love it. I probably would have loved the Yamaha as well, in all its clunky glory, but the Dark Energy won points for being compact and midi-able. Really, though, it's the sound I adore, though the knobs and switches (and the wood and metal of it, too) are deeply charming. I'm not gonna knock digital/virtual - I love my Novation X-Station, and my Korg MS20 Legacy is on most of my latest tracks etc, but there is something intangible to me about the very tangibleness of analogUE, be it old skoo or new. The closer the digital world comes to seeming "real," the more some of us crave the plastic thunk of a funky box that only works half the time!

To try and relate it to your Moog quest, both synths have THE sound, but condition/reliability issues aside, how much does it matter to you get your hands stuck in? I always wanted a Source, from when I was a Devo-obsessed teen, but nowadays, I bet I'd grab the Prodigy, for reasons I've sorta put forth above. I mean, 90% of my record-making takes place on the keyboard I'm typing on now, with one finger tip on a track pad calling allllll the shots!

(Before I leave off, I'll ask if anyone here has any clue why let my Micromoog go all those years ago!)
Grumblepig

Gear: Novation X-Station, Korg MS-20 mini, Doepfer DE, Korg MS-10, SC Pro-One, Casio CZ-1000, Wurlitzer 200, Roland R8
Band: Three Minute Tease

Postby SP4CEC4SIO » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks for the help, I'm checking out the Doepfer right now.
SP4CEC4SIO
SP4CEC4SIO

Circuit Bent Casio SK-1
MicroMoog

Postby bochelli » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:54 pm

Prodigy hands down, if you go for Source and the membrane plays up time to have a date with your bank account, meanwhile some prodigy is purring away nicely.
yamoto773
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Postby calaverasgrande » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:42 pm

If you look at the source for its patch storage capabilities, just get a Little Phatty. I know it isn't "vintage" but speaking as someone with several new Moogs, I appreciate the reliability. I also think a lot of "vintage" sound is the slowly degrading capacitors and scratchy pots. I love my 70's synths to bits. But dang if they dont hit clunky notes and stick exactly when you dont want em to.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby syntheticsolutions » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Personally, i would go for the Prodigy. i had the opportunity to play one a few months back and my god did it sound good!

I have the dark energy, yamaha CS-5, MS-10 etc and they are all great but the prodigy in my eyes has more gusto and balls than any of them. if i wasn't so strapped for cash i would get one. I have even considered selling the CS-5 and dark energy to get hold of one.

Although i am aware of what the source can do, i have never played one or heard one in person so i can not comment. i think a lot of people on VSE are guilty of advice on things they simply have no experience with! "i know everything about this synth although i have never played or seen one" i see that as being really unfair tbh but thats another story.

get a prodigy bro! i would if i could lol
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.
syntheticsolutions

Gear: OB-8, Jupiter 4, Polysix, Juno 6, RS-505, MS-10, VC-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Dark Energy, Dark Time,Machinedrum, DX, RE-501, DC-50, Roland Rack, Foogers
Band: Lunar Modular

Postby dzlvs8 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:51 am

The Prodigy is the perfect choice. It was my first good Analog synth. The micromoog was also a good suggestion (its awesome and more dirty sounding, and it has awesome sample and hold for the moog filter!)

The little phatty and source are terrible choices. If you want to get your first taste of analog synths. In general, analog synths are knobby. With that, there is immediate control and you can look at the synth and actually see what its doing. That is a very good thing for someone who is just getting into analog synths.

The Little Phatty, like so many other newer synths (from the late 80's until now) seem to sacrifice functionality for ....? ???? Well, I don't know what the up side is, but its totally stupid that there are only four knobs on the little phatty. You can deny this all you want, but the reason that Moog made the little phatty with only four knobs is that they needed it to suck in some way. The sound is obviously going to be moog, but they needed more of a selling point to sell the voyager, and having more control is DEFINITELY a good reason to want to upgrade to a voyager. the differences between the two synths would not be enough to justify the price difference if the phatty had a knob for each function.

Get something knobby. Trust me....and all the rest of us, since we are all at least recommending the prodigy over the source.
dzlvs8

Gear: Tons and tons of ridiculously expensive keyboards.

Postby Ned Bouhalassa » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:07 am

I LOVED my Source. I only sold it because of redundancy (Memorymoog in the house). It totally rocks with an amazing sound, Moog-fast envelopes. And the wheel-based programming becomes second-nature after a couple of sessions. It also has an incredible look. FWIW, mine was rock-solid (if you're concerned about maintenance). What a beaut! :dancer:
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos: nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 1 Japanese, a young German, an old Brit and 2 fat Americans.

Postby n3wt15 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:59 pm

I love my sources sound, I like it more then i liked the prodigy, however I dont like it as much as I like the voyager...more because of the extra options the voyager has...which is why im selling my source to fund for one of those again :-)
n3wt15

Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Postby calaverasgrande » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:24 am

Honestly, have you spent any time at all with a Phatty? It doesn't seem like it's missing any knobs at all when you are using it. Aside from the same shortcomings that the Taurus III has, with the "push 2 buttons at once to access this fucntion". But the main stuff is all one button push away.
Personally I prefer the new Moog stuff over the older stuff because it is easier to interface (for the most part) and doesnt need constant cleaning. There is also that older Moog gear had some uh, interesting ideas about how to mount circuit boards and ribbons and such. Their newer gear is much more durable.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby analoglsd » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:46 am

+1 for Prodigy.

It was the first analog synth I had my hands on, it was a great learning tool, and it added so much to my recordings at the time.(I only had an old Casio then)
As far as getting a feel for hands-on subtractive synthesis, the the Source is no competition.
Also, if you're wanting a more 'vintage' sound, the Prodigy definitely scores higher.
The Micromoog is great, for modulation, but isn't as intuitive, and it is generally impossible to get it to tune/scale correctly.

SP4CEC4SIO wrote:I feel that older synths have a lot more heart than the newer ones.

I hear what you're saying, and I wholeheartedly agree. ;)
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Eurorack vs. MPC1000
Band: USAforLSD

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts