Trying to get to sliders on a Roland Sh09/Rs09

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Trying to get to sliders on a Roland Sh09/Rs09

Postby velocity boy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Hello, I'm trying to replace some sliders on my SH09, but when I went to open the unit, I noticed that in order to get to the sliders, I need to get past a couple "bolted" on motherboards. I also noticed this in my Rs09. Is there a way I can get to the sliders without getting my Sh09 serviced? Thanks!
velocity boy

Advertisement:

Re: Trying to get to sliders on a Roland Sh09/Rs09

Postby synthparts » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:02 am

No, you have to remove the circuit board, desolder the old sliders and solder in the new ones...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com
synthparts

Postby Don T » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:49 am

synthparts wrote:No, you have to remove the circuit board, desolder the old sliders and solder in the new ones...

Yep. And be VERY carefull removing the two boards, they are permanently joined by a few VERY stiff ribbon cables, it will break a couple solder joints if forced. Also, the boards are connected by plastic standoffs that have the kind of tips that have to be squeezed to loosen them. Try to not flex the boards too much when doing this.

Also, take the jack board out first, trying to work the boards out around it is basically impossible.

If you haven't gotten the replacement sliders yet, the sliders in the Juno series of Rolands are the same.

Good luck! I did a full rebuild on mine, and had to learn some of these the hard way. The synth looks easier to work on than it actually is. Then again, it seems that every synth is that way! :mrgreen:
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)
Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Postby synthparts » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:46 am

Don T wrote:If you haven't gotten the replacement sliders yet, the sliders in the Juno series of Rolands are the same.

Actually they are only the same slider type as the Juno-6/60 (other Junos have different type sliders) and then they might not be the same values. If you let me know specifically which slider pots you need I can check if I have any.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com
synthparts

Postby Don T » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:26 am

synthparts wrote:
Don T wrote:If you haven't gotten the replacement sliders yet, the sliders in the Juno series of Rolands are the same.

Actually they are only the same slider type as the Juno-6/60 (other Junos have different type sliders) and then they might not be the same values. If you let me know specifically which slider pots you need I can check if I have any.

Oops, yeah, I forgot the J-106 was different. Thanks for the catch.
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)
Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Return to HELP!