Kurzweil K2000 problem - effects insanity.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Kurzweil K2000 problem - effects insanity.

Postby jrombrasher » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:40 am

I have a Kurzweil k2000 v3 w/orchestral that does the weirdest thing, I turn it on and after it boots, there is crazy screaming loud effects racket, I mean LOUD grinding digital effects noise pain! I know it is effects because if I turn them off it works fine dry, but I kind of like the effects and I want them to act right.

The strangest part of this, I have found that to fix it I can just hit the synth, Fonzie jukebox style, once or twice and it is fine for a good long while. I swear when I do this I can hear the effects altering, almost like there is an actual spring reverb in there. I have taken it apart, looked for loose or amiss connections etc. but to no avail. Also I am not really certain which board or part of what board contains the effects so I can look at it closer. It is driving me crazy, anyone ever have a problem similar to this? I'd really like to stop punching this thing...
jrombrasher

Advertisement:

Re: Kurzweil K2000 problem - effects insanity.

Postby Virgule » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:55 am

Have you reset the machine (Soft or Hard Reset)?
Virgule

Postby jrombrasher » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:20 am

Yes, I've done that and the problem still returns, the noise doesn't happen always but maybe half the time.
jrombrasher

Postby rhino » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:04 pm

FWIW, I have a K2500x that did the same type of thing: Any patch using reverb had a constant tone (about 1200 Hz), also controled by the effects level. Any patch with phazer had a ragged FM-like tone. The "base" FX chip is not available, so I ended up buying an audio board (used) on Ebay.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby Steve Jones » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:23 am

From memory the effects chip was a Dod chip, they were always a bit failure prone, perhaps you have a bad solder joint on the FX chip, if the board has flexed it may have cracked a surface mount solder joint which may need re-flowing.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

http://www.synthrepairs.com
Steve Jones

Postby jrombrasher » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions y'all, I will open it up and check the boards.
jrombrasher

Postby chrispoacher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:51 am

Hi, I have the same problem with my K2000R. To get around it I just use the 'dry' outputs 1-2 but there is still some very small buzzing noise left. I've replaced some of the JFET's on the output board and I have the diodes to fit also which may help a bit. I would really like the Effects to work though, is it possible to replace the chip or do I need to replace an entire board, and if so which board.. This is a superb piece of kit that would get used a whole lot more in my setup if it wasnt for this problem. Chris
chrispoacher

Postby scottrod » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:39 pm

The effects section is right by the outputs.

I had a spare board I worked on for a few months but never could get the effects operational. Dry was fine. Finally gave up and sold it for parts.

I was not impressed with the board itself. I've never seen traces pop loose so easily. Cheap manufacture IMO.
scottrod
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to HELP!