Juno 60 vs Vermona Perfourmer Mk1

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Juno 60 vs Vermona Perfourmer Mk1

Postby Polarelch » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Ok I am starting my decision phase for this quite early, will decide in march or even later, but it can't hurt to collect opinions and ideas already now.

I'm looking for a reliable, polyphonic, easy tweakable analog synthesizer for less than 1000 Euros.
I narrowed it down to these 2, the Juno 60 and the Perfourmer (mk1).
I am aware these 2 are quite different machines to compare, but still:

The most important factor for me is that I like the general sound, because this should be my main synth, my signature synth if you wanna call it that.
Right, before I am getting to the Juno 60 and the Perfourmer, let me explain why I rejected other popular alternatives:

Tetra / Prophet: I have a Mopho Keyboard, so a Tetra or a Prophet would actually be a rather obvious choice for me. Just, with it, I wouldn't get a new sound character into my setup. Also, I'd miss the chance to get a vintage synth or a more tweakable synth.

Andromeda: Too expensive for me at the moment. I have dreamed of this synth for long, but I want to keep it as a highlight achievement for a later occasion, so there is something big to look forward to over one or 2 years.

JX3P: I have watched loads of youtube videos. Sure, you can't judge a synth alone by hearing it on youtube, but I guess a youtube-youtube comparison is legit. And there, I can say, I really don't like its character.

Jupiter 4 or a Yamaha CS model would be a dream, but could easily turn into a nightmare in terms of reliability and fixing I guess?

I'd also like to rule out any other synth with too few or too many knobs/sliders, I like the clear and accessable structure of the Juno 60, and the arrangement of knobs on the perfourmer.

So what's left in my book are the Juno 60 and the Perfourmer.

What I like about the Juno 60:
The sound touches me like hardly any synthesizer I heard (on youtube).
I love the design of the keyboard and its interface.
It's vintage, but still affordable and not hard to find.
It has keys

What I like about the Perfourmer:
It would fit nicely with a DRM1 mk3 (on my list too)
I like the colourful knobs (hence only the mk1 made my list)
I can use it in a rack
It's rather new, so probably more reliable / stable

So now, I'm asking you guys. By what criteria should I make my decision?
Which one would you get if you were me, and why?
Polarelch

Advertisement:

Re: Juno 60 vs Vermona Perfourmer Mk1

Postby pflosi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Based on the fact that none of the reasons for the Perfourmer that you listed have anything to do with sound, but you seem to love the Juno sound, I'd say go for the Juno. It's usually better to judge synths by their sound than the color of their knobs... ;) I think it's also a completely different 'programming feeling' between the two; is it possible with the Perfourmer to tweek e.g. all VCF freqs on all four voices with one knob? Like if the first voice could be 'normalled' to the others in poly mode or something... AFAIK it is not, so not really suited for 'traditional' poly actions... I personally think of the Perfourmer more as 4 mono synths, similar design as 4-voice...

Just two quick sidenotes:
1. I can tell you that you will still GAS for an Andromeda ;)
2. The Mopho is quite tweakable, much more than the two synths you're considering (per voice). A Mopho Key + T4 is a very nice poly IMO, but yeah I get your argument with the 'characteristics'.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Polarelch » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:08 am

Back to this old topic, I still didn't decide what's gonna be my first poly analog, just I know:
I *do* want the Juno 60 at some point, but I probably won't find it that easily, so I can't *plan* it.
Last week I tested the Perfourmer Mk2 and indeed I can't see it as a poly synth either, so it won't be a purchase in that category. Maybe later though.

Which leaves me to the thought that I might have to (lol) go with new polys and there's basically just the Prophet 08.
At least it can layer and is slightly different to my Mopho.. but for some reason it's not a lot of GAS for it.
I guess rightnow is not the time to buy "my" new poly analog since the range of choice is so so small...
but I should be able to find *some* used poly analog of interest when it's time for it. Hope it will still be possible this year.
Polarelch

Postby pflosi » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 am

The P08 is different than the Mopho in the sense that it has less functions, namely the P08 lacks the subosc and filter feedback path that the Mopho has.

If you already have a Mopho Kbd, I'd either go with the Tetra for a 5-voice and 5-times-multitimbral synth (layering, splitting, all easy) or with the new MophoX4... If you want a modern knobby poly that is.

IME Juno 60s pop up quite often, should not be a big problem to get one, at least if you're willing to pay the prices they go for these days :roll:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby j0hnny » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:19 pm

I read somewhere that the PerFOURmer MKI doesn't receive midi velocity data, (possibly aftertouch too).

Quite an important feature for most people.
j0hnny

Postby Projectile » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:39 am

j0hnny wrote:I read somewhere that the PerFOURmer MKI doesn't receive midi velocity data, (possibly aftertouch too).

Quite an important feature for most people.

Neither does the Juno-60. No midi at all and the keyboard is not velocity sensitive. It's simply a gate signal. Also, no portamento! The Juno-60 makes a terrible monosynth. Still love it, though.
Projectile

Return to Synth Shootouts