holy shit snacks, someone finally fixed the electribe

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

holy shit snacks, someone finally fixed the electribe

Postby nuketifromorbit » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:50 pm

I haven't seen anyone here mention this so I'd thought I'd share the great news. According to the unofficial korg forums someone managed to fix the obnoxious ghost edits, which plagued the esx and emx, using little more than a sheet of baking paper. Heres the link

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70030
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Re: holy shit snacks, someone finally fixed the electribe

Postby dubold » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:30 pm

wow, that's fascinating. so just something insulating the front panel from the circuitboard fixed the jitter issue? I've experienced some similar weirdness with a controller keyboard, parameters jumping and the like, but the casing is plastic, not metal. Wonder if something else could be shorting in there...
dubold
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: sh-32, ms2000r, er-1mkii, laptop, various delays, wires, tubes

Postby thehighesttree » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:35 pm

It doesn't have to do with the casing, apparently. People say it's the 2 main boards inside having shorts between them, so it could be the same deal.
thehighesttree

Postby balma » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:00 am

I've been using during 5 years the ESX1, and a few months ago IT started to give problems with the pitch and volume level knobs. Also one year ago, I had to replace the fuse.

Move the pitch knob to the left a little bit, and it jumps to -63.

Sometimes I wish I could "grab Korg" by the neck with both hands. Electribes have hundreds of active users, since are pretty handy for dance music and great composition tools. They release an "upgrade" with SD storage, but they did not fix those issues for new buyers....

BTW Electribes ESX1/EMX/1 have a double metal layer cover. I'm also having a hard time pressing the up/down layer buttons. Both of them became non-responsive at the same time, so I doubt is an overused switch problem
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby thehighesttree » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Did you put some insulating material between the boards Balma?

I've been pretty lucky...hoarded 3 of these X-series Electribes and so far no hiccups, except one time when I was standing on carpeted floor using one and there was some jumping values/oversensitivity. One-time issue. I really, really think it's static interference and that a sheet of parchment paper should resolve it.

Kind of off-topic, some of us on electribe-forum.com started a thread for an OS update wishlist. It's bloody unlikely given Korg's history, but if anyone's got any suggestions for possible OS changes they'd like to see they should post 'em so we can send a letter off. Couldn't hurt to ask, right?
thehighesttree

Postby balma » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:50 am

Lots of problems with my ESX-1 on the last months....

What I just discovered (and I suppose I´m not the first.... :cry: )....

If you remove the red conver of the ESX-1, you´ll find a second metal gray cover. Well, The ESX-1 and the EMX-1 models share the same metal case under the blue and red covers....

Oh man, how could they? Despite the ESX and the EMX have differences on the knobs and light indicators, Korg didn´t bother to design two different cases for them.

I opted for removing the fucking red cover, and use it "naked". The up/down buttons died a few months ago, something really frustrating.... now without the red cover, they became functional again

Anyway....Image
"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby nuketifromorbit » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:16 pm

balma wrote:Lots of problems with my ESX-1 on the last months....

What I just discovered (and I suppose I´m not the first.... :cry: )....

If you remove the red conver of the ESX-1, you´ll find a second metal gray cover. Well, The ESX-1 and the EMX-1 models share the same metal case under the blue and red covers....

Oh man, how could they? Despite the ESX and the EMX have differences on the knobs and light indicators, Korg didn´t bother to design two different cases for them.

I opted for removing the fucking red cover, and use it "naked". The up/down buttons died a few months ago, something really frustrating.... now without the red cover, they became functional again

Anyway....Image

Korg continues to break my heart. I bought an EMX after discovering the knob jitters solution only to find that the arp slider had started going haywire.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby balma » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Mine too. I love what this machine can do. simple but effective mangling samples for beat sequencing...

One case for two different products: larger target market + $$ reduction on the assembling line´s costs.

Side effects: the case must be compatible for both products. There are some extra holes for the lights and knobs.

Between the Amp-roll-reverse buttons, there´s a big hole. Is where the oscillator´s big knob of the EMX-1 is located.
Also there´s a extra hole next to the filter, for the filter boost knob of the EMX-1.

Now, with two metal covers, is harder to get rid of that extra heat coming from the bulbs. I wonder if the heat affects the components near to them after years of use, like the pitch knob. Many user reports problem with it, mine goes to -48 each time I move it. But I´m also noticing, it makes contact with the hole borders.... don´t know if this is the reason for its shitty behavior.

My slider is also giving me problems, anyway, I didn´t use it so much, so I don´t miss it. But man, I´m "devastated" he he with this problems.

I would say: well, let´s get one of those new units with the SD card.... but they did not fixed anything after all those years! Just added the SD feature.

Well, they save some bucks on it, but it seems customer´s loyalty is a value not so appreciated by Korg. Is a profit that proves to be valuable for organizations only after a long time.

Get some feedback Korg, please... I´m somebody who doesn´t like to smash products throught the web, but, let´s go to the facts... this sucks :mrgreen:
Carl Sagan

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Loofy_009 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:19 am

Nice post!
Loofy_009

Return to Samplers