Teenage OP-1 vs Korg Prophecy vs M-Audio Venom

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Teenage OP-1 vs Korg Prophecy vs M-Audio Venom

Postby dr_nic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:55 am

I am foraying for the 1st time into hardware, owning several standard software vsts, and am looking for a VA (or anything really) which has a unique sound, preferably fat and agressive, that fits in with modern edm (house and trance).

The vsts can do most of the work, I would just like something thats fun and adds a unique element (which is partly why I don't want a Jp8000 or virus). Performance isn't an issue, it would just live in the studio.

I'm looking to spend $500 or under and I can find a prophecy, op-1 or venom for that amount (I live in AUS).

From what I can tell so far, the prophecy and the venom can definitely pull off the requirements, but the op-1 looks more fun and unique, however. Unfortunately, I can't find any demo videos of house/trance sounds on the op-1 and there are none I can try in stores around me either.
I've tried a miniak as well but the screen is just too annoying.

What do you think?
Cheers for any help.
dr_nic

Advertisement:

Re: Teenage OP-1 vs Korg Prophecy vs M-Audio Venom

Postby robotunes » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:50 am

korg ms20 software synth ($49US) + MS20ic controller (~$300US)

everything you want and more. i usually steer clear of presets but this has lots of damn good ones to learn from by reverse engineering.

prophecy is loads of menus, so not as fun as it looks. venom can do the job sonically but most of its parameters are available in software only, which defeats your purpose. op-1 intrigues me, and i will own one someday. not crazy about buying a battery-run synth since all batteries eventually get exhausted and you're eventually left with a synth that needs to stay connected to a computer to live. not a dealbreaker for you perhaps, but it bothers me. maybe TE will come up with an adapter someday?

just my opinions.
robotunes

Postby dr_nic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:04 am

Hey thanks for the quick reply.
The ms20 software is definitely attractive, and I think I'll be getting the ipad version, but I wouldn't really be interested in getting a controller. I'd still want the option of not using the pc.

Is the venom really that limited without running as a plugin? what parameters can/can't you edit?
dr_nic

Postby garranimal » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:25 pm

Seems like each of the three devices mentioned fills a different niche.

The OP-1 is like an integrated all-in-one production station the way I understand it. Has synth, phrase recorder, effects.

Prophecy is a pretty cool monophonic VA. So leads, bass lines, arpeggios and noise are in order.

Venom is 12-voice polyphonic w/ 3-oscillators per voice. So it can do the monophonic things but also adds pads, multi-timbral, and some good-to-go drum kits. Venom can do some basic live editing from the front panel: filter cutoff, resonance, FM, ring mod, Filter+Amp ADSR controls, sync, glide, fx amount, unison. The software is required to setup custom modulations, detailed effects settings, waveform selections - those kinds of things.
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:07 pm

I haven't tried the OP-1 but I've watched a lot of videos and listened to a lot of audio. It's a very cool synth but I don't like the small keys. It would be a good addition, but I can't see it as an only synth unless that's the kind of thing and size you want.

I tried the Venom. It's okay but I found the sounds a bit thin.

I have two Prophecies. Why? It's a wonderful organic sounding synth with a great log wheel for modulations etc. It uses MOSS and is basically four synth engines in one. As a MIDI controller, it has a great feel. The Prophecy is monophonic, but the sounds can be complex like. I use one for a live set up and one for a MIDI to CV controller (with a Kenton).

I wouldn't trade one of my Prophecies for a Venom but I probably would for an OP-1. (mainly because I have two).
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Kronos73/Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18
Phollop Willing PA

Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Postby implant » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Out of the three mentioned I vote for the prophecy as well.
The proph sounds better imo then the venom and the synth
engine is flexible enough to keep you experimenting.
yes it has menu diving but i doubt a primarily in the box user
will be bothered by this. Personally I have never heard anything
from the op-1 synth wise that competed with either the prophecy or venom.
If you are by a guitar center they should have a venom for you to try out. :)
The venom is not a bad machine it is just chained to software to fully use it.
Plus they are quite cheap these days. 8-)
implant

Gear: k2500s, k4r, mc-09, ms-404, BassStation kybd, k-station, mvs-1, syntrack, mini/microbrute, tbx-303, kult, fsr1, sg01v, spawn, fizmo.

Postby sonicbleep » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:11 pm

I have just got a venom, they are on at a really good price on thomann.de

Its not a bad synth, i would say at the price point the miniak is the closest other option. The miniak in my opinion sounds better and has a vocoder, downside is a lack of free editor and audio interface. The venom doesnt cope well when switching patches.

The really annoying thing about the venom is the big sticker on the front of it... Dont try and peel it off because it will just leave a sticky mess!
sonicbleep

Gear: korg microX, boss DR-202, Red darkstar, korg kaossilator.. lots of soft synths etc....

Return to Synth Shootouts