Roland JX3P buttons 9-16 are failing

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Re: Roland JX3P buttons 9-16 are failing

Postby EmptySet » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:34 am

cornutt wrote:Are you guys sure it's the switches themselves? This sounds to me like a scanning problem. Say, a ribbon cable going to the panel board that isn't making good contact.

Yes, it's the switches. If I move a reasonably OK one to a position where there is a crummy one, the good switch continues working just fine (and the crummy still doesn't work). The switches are messed up in some fashion. Some work fine. Some don't work at all. And some are in between (e.g. might work if I lean them).
EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Advertisement:

Postby Ry-Fi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:16 am

Beats me! :lol: Is it corrosion? Dust/debris (is that even possible?)? Moisture? I really don't know. I just know it worked, in this particular case...
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Postby cornutt » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:37 am

EmptySet wrote:
cornutt wrote:Are you guys sure it's the switches themselves? This sounds to me like a scanning problem. Say, a ribbon cable going to the panel board that isn't making good contact.

Yes, it's the switches. If I move a reasonably OK one to a position where there is a crummy one, the good switch continues working just fine (and the crummy still doesn't work). The switches are messed up in some fashion. Some work fine. Some don't work at all. And some are in between (e.g. might work if I lean them).

Interesting. That's weird that one whole row of switches would fail like that. Maybe someone spilled something on it at some time in the past.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Postby EmptySet » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:19 am

cornutt wrote:Interesting. That's weird that one whole row of switches would fail like that. Maybe someone spilled something on it at some time in the past.

Well, one whole row of switches hasn't failed. They just almost all suck in one fashion or another. Like they're old or something. Some work fine. Some require a couple tries. Some are just bunk. And this is BOTH rows of switches. I really think that their switch parts for this model are crummy. Others have stated that they've had similar problems. The synth works perfectly otherwise.

On a related note, my Juno 106 had some lousy button switches in a similar fashion. But it was far easier to find replacements. I yanked them all and replace with new ones (sliders too). It's a dream… works like new.
EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Postby precarity » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Bumping an older thread since a lot of the info pertains:

Anyone figure out any sources for JX3P buttons / switches? I'm sprucing up a friend's JX3P, which apparently suffered a spill at some point, leaving about 4 of the push buttons wonky (some trigger intermittently, one doesn't even "click" anymore). I checked technology transplant and syntaur and came up empty. There's 4 on eBay in the UK, but they're pulls the guy wants £7/ea for — this is a "whenever it can get done" fix, and I think I can do better than that.

I don't suppose someone has another source for NOS switches at $3.50 a pop, eh?
precarity

Postby rhino » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:07 pm

UPDATE ! UPDATE ! WILL ROBINSON!

Just started repairs on a JX3-p. Patch buttons 9-16 were dead. Checked signals at the ICs and they looked OK. Switches checked ok.
Finaly got down to continuity checks on the traces... OPENS !!!!!

CHECK the TRACES at the LOWER RIGHT corner of the button board. Look for a crack starting at the mounting-screw hole and extending thru the curved traces near it.

The bender also went only "up". SAME thing on the left lower corner, right near the screw hole.

Must be flexing of the PC board from falling on the front panel. having another synth dropped on it, or maybe just rough use.

Fixed a total of 8 traces. Bingo! Image Image
Pix soon.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8