Midi Switch

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Midi Switch

Postby Joshy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:15 am

I'm trying to find a midi switch for my setup, something like this basically:

Something cheap that is able to switch between two midi paths like the one in the picture. I just have two synths I want to control with my Maschine as the sequencer, but at different times for recording.

Any insight and suggestions would be great, thanks!

Joshy

Advertisement:

Re: Midi Switch

Postby Z » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:55 am

Roland MPU-104
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby plus321 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:52 am

It might be cheaper to just get a midi patchbay. It would do the same thing you want, but you would have 4 inputs and 8 outputs. I got a Kawaii one once on ebay for $10 or so that has sliders on the front for each of the 8 outputs to select the input.

Or you could try to buy a project box, 3 din jacks and a dpdt switch and wire them up.
plus321

Postby Jay200MPH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:56 am

I've bought two of these now, one for €60 and one for $40 CDN. Great little boxes, run on batteries or just about any 9VDC you have lying around. Individual switches for each channel are really useful too, you can do tricks like running one MIDI OUT to a second sequencer then running the output of that back to the box using the second MIDI IN. Or good for jamming with a friend when you both have laptops and don't want to rewire everything depending on whose is the DAW. :D
Jay200MPH

Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Postby RetroSynthAds » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:40 am

Agree with jay200mph. I have two Casio tb-1s as well and love them. An easy way to add MIDI switching to your system.
Dick Martini
If you are bored... check out my blog: http://retrosynthads.blogspot.com
RetroSynthAds

Postby Joshy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:35 am

Z wrote:Roland MPU-104

It seems that the MPU-104 takes multiple MIDI inputs and routes them to one MIDI out? Correct me if I'm wrong.

plus321 wrote:It might be cheaper to just get a midi patchbay. It would do the same thing you want, but you would have 4 inputs and 8 outputs. I got a Kawaii one once on ebay for $10 or so that has sliders on the front for each of the 8 outputs to select the input.

Or you could try to buy a project box, 3 din jacks and a dpdt switch and wire them up.

Ah, I didn't realize there were MIDI patchbays! I definitely would want to go that route rather than DIY.

The Casio seems like exactly what I would want. I may go ahead and pick one of those up!
Thanks everyone for the input! :D

Joshy

Postby RetroSynthAds » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:18 am

Thumbs up to MIDI patch bays too. But they usually cost a little more than smaller (non-rack) units like the Casio TB1. But so much more convenient to slot into the rack you want to use it with.

I have an Akai ME30P (4 In's, 8 Out's - programmable!) patch bay that I plan to hook up to my A-rack of synths - just too lazy at the moment. :)

But I do use a Korg KMP-68 (6 In's, 8 Thu's - manual switching) that I have hooked into my B-rack. Its a great unit because two of the In's and Thru's are on the front of the unit, making it easy for me to keep these less-used synths out of my MIDI system until I need to hook them in. Totally recommended if you can find one.

I've included an image below of the rack (its the third unit from the top)

Dick Martini
If you are bored... check out my blog: http://retrosynthads.blogspot.com
RetroSynthAds

Postby cartesia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:39 am

Joshy wrote:I'm trying to find a midi switch for my setup, something like this basically:

Something cheap that is able to switch between two midi paths like the one in the picture. I just have two synths I want to control with my Maschine as the sequencer, but at different times for recording.

Any insight and suggestions would be great, thanks!

Forgive me for asking this stupid question, but why can't you just sequence them on different channels?
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Postby Joshy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:15 am

RetroSynthAds wrote:Thumbs up to MIDI patch bays too. But they usually cost a little more than smaller (non-rack) units like the Casio TB1. But so much more convenient to slot into the rack you want to use it with.

I have an Akai ME30P (4 In's, 8 Out's - programmable!) patch bay that I plan to hook up to my A-rack of synths - just too lazy at the moment. :)

But I do use a Korg KMP-68 (6 In's, 8 Thu's - manual switching) that I have hooked into my B-rack. Its a great unit because two of the In's and Thru's are on the front of the unit, making it easy for me to keep these less-used synths out of my MIDI system until I need to hook them in. Totally recommended if you can find one.

I've included an image below of the rack (its the third unit from the top)

snip

The rack units certainly offer quite a bit, but I don't have enough yet to fulfill the versatility they provide. :P Thanks for the pic and the info. Do you use your TB-1's in addition to the rack units you have? (well, excluding the ME30P for now)

cartesia wrote:Forgive me for asking this stupid question, but why can't you just sequence them on different channels?

Not a bad question at all! That would be fine but Maschine is my sequencer, and it has only one MIDI out. I'm trying to switch between sequencing two of my hardware synthesizers when I record, so that's where the midi switch is needed. Unless I've completely missed something and there is an easier way to this.. :? I already bought a TB-1 though, so if I did miss something I've got a midi switch coming anyway! :D

Joshy

Postby piRoN » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:07 am

Joshy wrote:Not a bad question at all! That would be fine but Maschine is my sequencer, and it has only one MIDI out. I'm trying to switch between sequencing two of my hardware synthesizers when I record, so that's where the midi switch is needed. Unless I've completely missed something and there is an easier way to this.. :? I already bought a TB-1 though, so if I did miss something I've got a midi switch coming anyway! :D

Yep, you're missing something - namely that there are 16 MIDI channels available on each physical midi connection. So in your case you could simply control synth1 via midi output 1, channel 1, and synth2 via midi output 1, channel 2. Your synths will almost certainly have the option to select which midi channel they respond to. Run your midi output to the input of synth1, then another cable from synth1's "thru" port to synth2, and you're golden.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | DSI Evolver | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Roland TR-606 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Gear: A fair bit.

Postby Joshy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Ah the "thru" port, very true. Thanks for the info!

Joshy

Postby cartesia » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:38 am

Yep. and if your synths only have midi in and out, most of the time the 'out' can also act as a thru.

poorass bonehead tech hacks 101 - if your gear only has an 'in' port - make a midi cable that has one plug at one end, and 2 plugs at the other end. You can only ever use the single end on an 'out' port, but the doubled up end, should work fine in 2 'in' ports. set each synth to a different channel as per normal, easy.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Postby cloud » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:11 am

cartesia wrote:Yep. and if your synths only have midi in and out, most of the time the 'out' can also act as a thru.

poorass bonehead tech hacks 101 - if your gear only has an 'in' port - make a midi cable that has one plug at one end, and 2 plugs at the other end. You can only ever use the single end on an 'out' port, but the doubled up end, should work fine in 2 'in' ports. set each synth to a different channel as per normal, easy.

I use a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru box to achieve that. The Quadra simply replicates its input to all four outputs, and no batteries or power supply required; it's powered entirely by the MIDI signal.
cloud

Return to Sound Production