Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Arturia MiniBrute - analog monosynth

Postby GuyaGuy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:11 pm

themilford wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:
volumetrik wrote:why hasn't this wicked synth been added to VSE yet? should have a link on the front page to it :)

I decided to go ahead and write one after seeing your post.
I figure it's the least I could do for all the info I've gleaned from those pages.

Sure would like to see this review...

It's up now.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/minibrute.php
More of a description than a critical review.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Advertisement:

Postby bhrama » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:51 pm

:drinks: Nice Review!
bhrama

Gear: Prophet 12, Juno 60, TR8, Sub37
Band: Grit Lapse, Mang

Postby themilford » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Just ordered mine.

If I don't love it... I will be flipping it for an SH-09. ;-)
themilford

Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DX, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Fender Jazzmaster LH ('65), Minimoog Model D. Korg DW8000, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Postby GuyaGuy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:46 pm

bhrama wrote::drinks: Nice Review!
thanks!
themilford wrote:Just ordered mine.

If I don't love it... I will be flipping it for an SH-09. ;-)

Just don't hold my review responsible if you don't like it. :P
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby Monocelot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:02 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:It's up now.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/minibrute.php
More of a description than a critical review.

Nice! Let's hope the critics (if it deserves any) come up in the comments field. Right now I think the excitement are making you owners blind, though this synth seem to be an instant classic.
Monocelot

Gear: DSI Prophet 08 PE
Roland SH-2
Korg MS-20
DSI Tempest
Vermona DRM-1 MKIII
Moog Minimoog Model D
Shruthi-1
Moog MF-104z
Jomox XBase 999

Postby volumetrik » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:46 am

Nice write up GuyaGuy well done!
volumetrik

Postby Bitexion » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:39 am

I could write a review but it would be way too long since I love this synth. And I've already said so much here.
Plus there are other people out there who write way better than me who have already done it. And you don't HAVE to use that metallic metalizer effect on the triangle wave to have fun.

The oscillator section is a neverending source of fun sounds, coupled with a pretty wild filter that is unlike any other analog filter I've used.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Kidney05 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:33 am

Bitexion wrote:I could write a review but it would be way too long since I love this synth. And I've already said so much here.
Plus there are other people out there who write way better than me who have already done it. And you don't HAVE to use that metallic metalizer effect on the triangle wave to have fun.

The oscillator section is a neverending source of fun sounds, coupled with a pretty wild filter that is unlike any other analog filter I've used.

It's reading stuff like this that makes it so hard to wait for NAMM. I'm afraid if I buy a minibrute before though ill miss out on something really cool.
Kidney05

Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Postby bhrama » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:20 pm

I feel the same way Kidney! "Should I stay or should I go now...." MB looks to be on all accounts a slamdunk, but now Moog had to go and introduce this damed Sub Phatty! Who knows what else is lurking out there to surprise us. I'm not sure how much I really need the Sub P yet, as I own a Voyager already, but it does seems nasty.
Last edited by bhrama on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhrama

Gear: Prophet 12, Juno 60, TR8, Sub37
Band: Grit Lapse, Mang

Postby tekkentool » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Sounds like you don't need it at all, the MB is probably one of the more unique releases in the last decade. The sub phatty is just like the 700th revision of a synth that's kind of plain sounding anyway.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby zoomtheline » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:00 pm

Wow, the Minibrute does sound great and has some interesting shades although you guys really need to try the A4 for something unique.
zoomtheline

Postby Walter Ego » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:35 pm

tekkentool wrote:Sounds like you don't need it at all, the MB is probably one of the more unique releases in the last decade. The sub phatty is just like the 700th revision of a synth that's kind of plain sounding anyway.

Depending on price point, though, the Sub might actually get me into the Moog game for the first time. I would probably go Moog instead of Arturia if given the choice, but it's all still speculation...although I'd rather go Korg if they really do unleash the MS-20 beast. Not much longer till we find out...
Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear
Band: 12"VS

Postby Bitexion » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:58 pm

I've played and owned so many synths with "moog alike-filters" I can't really see it being a major surprise or amazing moment for me. I even have a Moog clone filter in my modular system.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Aaron2 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:53 pm

OK, so I'm about six months late to the party, but my own MB arrived yesterday:

Couldn't be happier with it. I love the sound and build quality. The metal top and bottom and hard, rubberized side panels give it a very substantial feel. I think others have said that the knobs and sliders felt cheap, but I totally disagree. You want to feel cheap? Grab the controls on a Moog MG-1 and see how those feel! :lol: My only knock on it is the keys, which feel a little cheap. They're made of thin plastic that's too soft, and the action is too light. I wish that it had harder plastic, semi-weighted keys, like those you find on middle-of-the-road '80s synths like the Kawai K-3. But at this price point, it's hard to complain, right? The arpeggiator is extremely powerful, and I really had a great time experimenting with it. :ugeek: IMO, this synth is worth every penny (and more).

My wife came into my music room last night and could tell I was having a good time with this thing. She lovingly refers to my little studio as "Dracula's Castle," because of the dark, repetitive synth sound that always emanates from it! :lol:
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby Kidney05 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:39 am

how is everyone's minibrute holding up? just noticed mine (got it back in january) has an LED out in the octave range settings. Not a necessary one, but still annoying.
Kidney05

Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers