Korg Monotron

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Korg Monotron

Postby xanadu97 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:28 am

I have an Arturia MIDI keyboard and "The Player" software. It sounds good for a soft synth, but the filter sucks and there's no LFO. I'm thinking about buying a Monotron to use as a filter for it, but will the LFO work too?
xanadu97

Gear: DIY Modular
Monotron

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Monotron

Postby Kenneth » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:51 pm

The LFO can be utilized by ext audio input, but the Monotron is EXTREMELY noisy. There isn't really any way to get rid of this, other than EQ, which will sever your tone. I would recommend going another route, like using one of your other synths as a filter? Monotribe might not be as noisy.
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby Z » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Sounds like you want a Sherman Filter Bank - you can process any sound with 2 filters, LFO and envelope generator.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby C Faith » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Or an Electrix Filter Factory or Electrix Filter Queen. Those can be found on ebay for under $200 (Filter Queen under $100). Ignore the high buy it now prices.
C Faith

Gear: Prophet '08,Tempest, Mopho, Mono Evolver, Akai AX80 & AX60, Oberheim Matrix 6, Roland Alpha Juno 2 & SH-101, Ensoniq VFX & SQ80.
Band: Lord Preset

Postby tekkentool » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Or you need another VST. Try out something like U-he ACE. I've never heard any complaints about that one. Great filter, immensely tweakable.

Watch on youtube.com
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby xanadu97 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Kenneth wrote:The LFO can be utilized by ext audio input, but the Monotron is EXTREMELY noisy. There isn't really any way to get rid of this, other than EQ, which will sever your tone. I would recommend going another route, like using one of your other synths as a filter? Monotribe might not be as noisy.

Are there any mods to fix the noise problem? I don't have another synth and don't want to spend much money right now.
xanadu97

Monotron

Postby salwa » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Actually, I've used Monotron to process my Novation KS and guitar in one of my recent tracks (you may here it here: http://dommusic2.bandcamp.com/track/dow-dca-wiatru, in the second part of the song). It was little noisy (actually more than little), but I've managed to use noise reduction from my recording software without much tone loss, rest disappeared in mix. Frankly speaking, I've used noisier gear in my life.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 7 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl
salwa

Postby Sweep » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 pm

I've used the Monotron and not found noise a problem. If you process it a little, it should be fine - unless the noise threshold has increased significantly with later models. I used it through a Lexicon and the result was good enough for someone from a name band (no more details because the track hasn't been released) to think it worth adding vocals and some extra keyboards. So it must have sounded reasonably professional.

The downside I did find was that the build quality was poor. Of course you don't expect much at this price level, but the output socket was a bit iffy, and eventually it came right off the board. I tried opening the case and other issues soon developed. I'm not particularly heavy-handed, so it isn't like I tried to open it with a sledgehammer.

It's quite possible mine was a weak one, and others may be more robust, but I thought I'd pass this on. In short, it didn't make a lot of noise, but in the end it didn't make any noise at all.
Free the Jupiter 8!
Sweep

Postby vinyl_junkie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:22 am

I believe there was a mod for bypassing the crappy headphone amp here http://monotron.adornomedia.com/index.php
but the link doesn't work any more
vinyl_junkie

Gear: Akai samplers

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:25 am

vinyl_junkie wrote:I believe there was a mod for bypassing the crappy headphone amp here http://monotron.adornomedia.com/index.php
but the link doesn't work any more

Thanks for that useful contribution !
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby SKINNYPIG » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Forget the Electrix Filter Queen, It sounds nice enough but when mine started playing up and I contacted Electrix to see about having it repaired they pretty much just came straight out and said 'yeah that thing has some serious design floors'!
SKINNYPIG

Postby Walter Ego » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 pm

Kenneth wrote:The LFO can be utilized by ext audio input, but the Monotron is EXTREMELY noisy. There isn't really any way to get rid of this, other than EQ, which will sever your tone. I would recommend going another route, like using one of your other synths as a filter? Monotribe might not be as noisy.

And what's wrong with noise? It's part of the charm. Plus, when you process the external signal through a 'tron and crank up the resonance, that extra noise gives you a fun sine wave to play with--control the pitch with the cutoff control. Nice and dirty.

My advice to the OP is--get one and see if you like it. If you don't, you're only out $30-40.
Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear
Band: 12"VS

Postby xanadu97 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 am

Walter Ego wrote:And what's wrong with noise? It's part of the charm. Plus, when you process the external signal through a 'tron and crank up the resonance, that extra noise gives you a fun sine wave to play with--control the pitch with the cutoff control. Nice and dirty.

My advice to the OP is--get one and see if you like it. If you don't, you're only out $30-40.

This is a few weeks old, but I didn't see the last few replies until now. I did buy a Monotron, and I'm glad I did. Even without anything else I love it. Turning up the LFO rate and tuning it to the VCO makes a very thick sound. The filter should be good for what I want it for, but I can't find the right cable. My only complaint is that the LFO is saw, I was expecting triangle, but if it was a triangle I wouldn't be able to get the slightly detuned sawtooth sounds. I also think they could have added a CV input instead of the useless speaker, but it was $30 so I can't expect too much and it will be easy enough to add. The noise is only a problem when the volume is high.
xanadu97

Monotron

Return to General Synthesizers