roland mks50 good price?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

roland mks50 good price?

Postby andreasb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:53 pm

I'm interested to buy a roland mks serie synth. I found a mks50 with the pg300 editor for 650 euro (300 for the synth and 350 for the controller). Is this a good price for this synth or too expensive(have really no idea with the crazy second hand synth prices)? i thought this was a rack module of the alpha juno 1 and these synths can be found quite cheap or are there still differences? Thanx in advance
andreasb

Advertisement:

Re: roland mks50 good price?

Postby Solderman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:09 pm

I would say the module is worth about 65% of that price at most. I have a pet-peeve about the programmer being overpriced, even at half your suggested price, but I suppose they are collector's bait these days and can often be found at higher prices than the MKS-50's and Alpha Junos. Both of those prices need to come down, as there is no real price increase justification in the difference between Alpha Juno and MKS-50.

The rack has a somewhat better Midi spec, more user memories and more chord memories, but sounds exactly the same as the keyboard versions and the rack lacks the performance parameters, such as brilliance, modulation rate and envelope time that are useful for quick tweaking.

The only advantage I found having a PG-300 over using a sysex programmer, besides the obvious immediacy of sliders you can also get from something like a Behringer BCR2000, is the PG300 has a "Manual" button that sends the entire set of slider positions at once, making it dual as an older style WYSIWYG interface.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg I, Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), TB303, α Juno, Virus b, e1010, RPS-10, Filter Factory

Postby Alex E » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 pm

I completely agree with Solderman. The Alpha Junos are still decently priced, but the modules and programmers aren't. I've seen Alpha Juno 1's go for like $150-$200, and I got one about a year ago for $200. I used a free virtual editor with it and had a lot of fun.

Get the keyboard version, use a virtual editor, and save yourself 400 euros.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby andreasb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:54 pm

thx for the comments. I will look further to buy a alternative instead(maybe a juno) . Anyhow im not really fond of using my computer to control the synths parameters. Thats also one of the reasons why i prefere hardware synths instead of vst's for my personal view i can be more musical with hardware stuff:)
andreasb

Return to Buyer's Guide