Ever been tempted to sell everything and buy a Korg Poly800?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Ever been tempted to sell everything and buy a Korg Poly800?

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Curious...
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Advertisement:

Re: Ever been tempted to sell everything and buy a Korg Poly

Postby salwa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 pm

No, but i'll be glad if you want exchange your everything for my poly 800 (Slayer mod! Internal battery mod! Original ANALOG tape with presets!).
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 7 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl
salwa

Postby themilford » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Curious...

Wow, me too! :shock:
themilford

Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DX, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Fender Jazzmaster LH ('65), Minimoog Model D. Korg DW8000, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Postby c-level » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 pm

no. but i did buy one to tide me over while the juno 106 was in surgery. i just lien-ed it to a friend in philly so he could delve into the world of 'one param at a time' synths...

having said that. i dont understand the idiots who whine about it having 'only 1 filter' ? play a chord and deal? thats what the double mode is for, it isnt exactly a lead or bass machine. these must be the same picky people who in turn spend all day fine tuning 8 SEMs one by one..... :mrgreen:
c-level

Gear: Juno106, JX8P, JX3P, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, E6400 Ultra Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, M-Audio CX-8 Monitors, Focusrite Pro40
Band: C-Level

Postby c-level » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:58 pm

ANYONE EVER BEEN TEMPTED TO SELL EVERYTHING AND BUY A PROPER SET OF MONITORS? :mrgreen:
c-level

Gear: Juno106, JX8P, JX3P, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, E6400 Ultra Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, M-Audio CX-8 Monitors, Focusrite Pro40

Postby themilford » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:07 pm

c-level wrote:ANYONE EVER BEEN TEMPTED TO SELL EVERYTHING AND BUY A PROPER SET OF MONITORS? :mrgreen:

No, I just build them.
themilford

Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DX, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Fender Jazzmaster LH ('65), Minimoog Model D. Korg DW8000, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Postby Walter Ego » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:00 pm

salwa wrote:No, but i'll be glad if you want exchange your everything for my poly 800 (Slayer mod! Internal battery mod! Original ANALOG tape with presets!).

Same goes for me...though I'm about to get mine back with some nice mods (most of the ones on the circuitbenders.co.uk site)...Audio In to Filter-Chorus/Noise Level/FM/Cut-Res Knobs/12-24 switchable Filter. Can't wait to see it in its resurrected form.

But I would part with it for ALL YOUR GEAR (assuming you have some gear).
Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear
Band: 12"VS

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Walter Ego wrote:But I would part with it for ALL YOUR GEAR (assuming you have some gear).

I have no gear, just inspiration.

My brain is kind of like the original analog workstation.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby calaverasgrande » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:05 am

Te filter on the Poly 800 is actually kind of nice. Not in a Moog way of course, but with the right chords and proper harmonic context it's got this ethereal dreamy kind of quality.
Funny thing is I like this synth best when the filter is wide open and I have all the oscs on one note (chord memory).
Not modular huge, but huge-ish?

I also kind of like the stairstepped envelope on long releases.

Would I trade all my gear for one? Heck no. But I think it is hilarious how these have gone up in price over the last 5 years. It's to the point where the CS01 and poly 800 are duking it out for cheapest vintage analog synth.
The Yamaha being the best of the two!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby rhino » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:34 am

No, but I've been tempted to sell four of my synths and buy a fifth. (lol)

I already have a Poly800-MkII...looks great, but filled with dry-cell vomit. Makes the PolySix battery problem look like a fly speck.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby c-level » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:11 am

calaverasgrande wrote:Te filter on the Poly 800 is actually kind of nice. Not in a Moog way of course, but with the right chords and proper harmonic context it's got this ethereal dreamy kind of quality.
Funny thing is I like this synth best when the filter is wide open and I have all the oscs on one note (chord memory).

Would I trade all my gear for one? Heck no. But I think it is hilarious how these have gone up in price over the last 5 years. It's to the point where the CS01 and poly 800 are duking it out for cheapest vintage analog synth.

yeah i think the filter sweeps well esp with the envelopes. never quite got in the hang of the breakpoint/slope there. just put it in double mode and whack out a nice chord on it. and the chorus is a nice alternative to the juno's. curious i never tried the lead thing in chord memory, but i just lent mine out :lol: whoops
c-level

Postby Walter Ego » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:25 am

calaverasgrande wrote:Te filter on the Poly 800 is actually kind of nice. Not in a Moog way of course, but with the right chords and proper harmonic context it's got this ethereal dreamy kind of quality.

Whoa...CS01s are fetching much higher prices than the 800s. I'd say it's still about 2 to 1 price factor. Poly 800 is still cheap, but not cheap like it was a few years ago, you're right. I got mine for a hundred bucks a decade ago. Now you can sell one for parts for that on the 'Bay.
Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear
Band: 12"VS

Postby bhrama » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:35 am

Sir Ruff wrote:My brain is kind of like the original analog workstation.
:haha:
bhrama

Gear: Prophet 12, Juno 60, TR8, Sub37
Band: Grit Lapse, Mang

Postby DesolationBlvd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:56 am

If I could go back, I'd tell myself to get the DSS-1 and DDD-1 and be done until the MS-20 mini comes out. In fact, some poor soul was trying to sell his DSS-1 with a bunch of floppies on my local Craigslist a while back (didn't want to ship that monster).

Too late now.

And isn't the Alpha Juno now the cheapest real analog poly you can get?

In partial seriousness, I've had twisted fantasies of selling the MKS-80 and OB-Xa (once it's repaired) towards a Jupiter-8. The Jupiter-8 was what I originally wanted when I got into the big leagues, one of the "sounds in my head", and I originally got the MKS-80 as the "next best thing" and the OB-Xa as the "big keyboard experience".

Of course, I got used to the MKS-80's dynamic response, and once the OB-Xa is in full working order, it would be one of the other "sounds in my head". And, I would have to replace the DMX with a LinnDrum or TR-808/909 to match the JP-8.

(Didn't want to hijack themilford's sell-it-all-for-Jupiter-6 thread)
Last edited by DesolationBlvd on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the vaccine for the Access Virus.

Oberheim OB-Xa (8-voice) (sick) / DMX
Roland Jupiter-8 / SH-101 / JP-8080 / Alpha Juno 2
Moog Voyager RME
Boss CE-300 / DR-110
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
DesolationBlvd

Postby calaverasgrande » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:32 am

Walter Ego wrote:

Whoa...CS01s are fetching much higher prices than the 800s. I'd say it's still about 2 to 1 price factor. Poly 800 is still cheap, but not cheap like it was a few years ago, you're right. I got mine for a hundred bucks a decade ago. Now you can sell one for parts for that on the 'Bay.

dunno I see both about $300 ish on the bay and c list.
the cs01 may top out higher, but there seems to be more of an active scene around the 800. A fella was putting out a new os for the 800 a year or two ago.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Next

Return to General Synthesizers