Have Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrute?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Have Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrute?

Postby Alex E » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:20 am

-Now that Korg's announced the MS20 Mini?

I've been thinking about this for a few days. Minibrute production finally seemed to be in full swing at the very end of last year, but now they have some very serious competition coming up. I feel like everyone's focusing on the MS20 now, and people got kind of tired of waiting for the Minibrute. Thoughts?
Last edited by Alex E on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Advertisement:

Re: Has Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrute

Postby GuyaGuy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:26 am

I think Korg missed their chance when they stopped making the MS-20 in 1983. Just think of the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS they could have been making selling those between then and now. But no, people had to buy DX-7s and MiniBrutes to tide them over.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: Has Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrute

Postby Bitexion » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:28 am

I think <insert manufacturer> missed their chance when they stopped making the <insert vintage synth> in 198x. Just think of the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS they could have been making selling those between then and now. But no, people had to buy DX-7s and MiniBrutes to tide them over.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Re: Have Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrut

Postby DLovas » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:00 am

GuyaGuy wrote:I think Korg missed their chance when they stopped making the MS-20 in 1983. Just think of the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS they could have been making selling those between then and now. But no, people had to buy DX-7s and MiniBrutes to tide them over.

I do agree with this. While one would argue that they were successful in aiming their products towards a more beginner type audience / tweakers (Kaossilators - MicroKorg), I think in the long run they should have stuck with full on workhorse synths like the MS-20. I'm at least glad to see them returning to the market with synths like the King Korg.

As for the OP's claim, I also agree that the MiniBrute wasn't exactly advertised as well as it could have been, and quite honestly the vibe I got was that it was a pretty rushed synth. I could be totally wrong as I've heard many good things about it - I'm just saying what I felt based purely from their advertising.
Hardware: Ensoniq Fizmo | Roland JP-8000
Software: FL Studio | Zebra2 | Sylenth1
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: RED MIDI Cables
BLUE MIDI Cables
Band: RingGalaxy

Postby volumetrik » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:02 am

both synths will be selling just as good its not like the MiniBrute is $2000
volumetrik

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:18 am

This is a pretty dumb thread though...
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby Em Pe Ge » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:30 am

Perhaps.
Em Pe Ge

Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Postby Walter Ego » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:46 am

Competition in this small arena is good for people like me, because it means I can begin to afford quality instruments that have the sounds I really love. It's also good for the industry, because it will encourage innovation. Arturia didn't miss their chance--they made a bold friggin move with a very well designed instrument that made more waves (so to speak) than they anticipated. I still applaud them for the move, and I think the synth world is better off for now having two very high quality, low cost analog monosynths to choose from. These are a fraction of the price they would have been thirty five years ago. It's a great time to be into analog synths.
Walter Ego

seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Ass-Burgers, Internet Cookies, Prescription Meth, Coffee and some Korg gear
Band: 12"VS

Postby bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:59 am

on the flip side, Korg still has a chance to completely "miss the opportunity on the MS-20 Mini." :lol: it's not out yet and it's not too late to mess up on supply and production. they can still drop the ball. all it takes is a big mistake or a marketing push by another company and even the MS-20 can be completely overshadowed.

any number of companies have the ability to push even the MS-20 completely off the road in the next few months. Moog, Elektron, Nord, Roland, heck even Buchla (although it is highly unlikely).

depending on the quality of the MS-20 and how it is received by the public (as soon as they get their hands on it), it may not be a sure thing. you never know.

some other ideas that could throw off Korg:

1. Arturia to follow up with a suite of accessories to build around a complete "Minibrute system" (and ramp up production and re-marketing of the Minibrute as "better" than the MS-20), thereby stealing potential MS-20 buyers.

2. Nord to venture into hardware modular collaboration (better than MS-20 semi-modular).

3. Roland, Yamaha, or Moog to venture into eurorack (also better than MS-20 semi-modular).

4. Roland to release a single Jupiter 8 voice similar to Dark Energy or 808 series eurorack (the only thing more earth shaking than a new MS-20 is a new Jup-8 or 808).

5. Access Virus to venture into new, innovative controllers that can leverage the Virus TI series (backwards compatible).

6. Ableton Live to collaborate with a hardware company on a new, affordable product in the price range of $500 and under.
bouzoukijoe1

Postby volumetrik » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:08 am

Last edited by volumetrik on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
volumetrik

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:28 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:This is a pretty dumb thread though...
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Hybrid88 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:26 am

Alex E wrote:Have Arturia kinda missed their chance with the Minibrute?

No. They're both completely different sounding beasts, each to their own I doubt it will make that much difference.

There will always be people who buy things they think they need but don't, it's called America - F yeah! 8-)
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby Jabberwalky » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:27 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:1. Arturia to follow up with a suite of accessories to build around a complete "Minibrute system" (and ramp up production and re-marketing of the Minibrute as "better" than the MS-20), thereby stealing potential MS-20 buyers.

Thread is odd, and misguided...but I do like where you're going with this. It'd be sort of a Roland System 100 style. That would be sick.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby redchapterjubilee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:37 pm

I figure it this way. With the $1000 you could have spent last year on an MS-10 you can now (with discounts) buy a MiniBrute and an MS-20 Mini and have two completely different flavors of analog. To think there can only be one $500 analog at a time is missing the point.
http://www.soundcloud.com/kellyminnis
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS
redchapterjubilee

Postby Sir Nose » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Funkadelic wrote:nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty
Sir Nose

Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Next

Return to General Synthesizers