Would a Korg Wavestation be good for a beginner?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Would a Korg Wavestation be good for a beginner?

Postby Pinkfloyd7421 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 am

I haven't played synthesizer before, but I want to learn to play, so I can make backing tracks for my guitar. I saw synth on ebay, and I was wondering if it would be good for a total beginner and if its a good deal.
Pinkfloyd7421

Advertisement:

Re: Would a Korg Wavestation be good for a beginner?

Postby scottrod » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:28 am

Good deal, bad beginner synth.
scottrod
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby garranimal » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:44 am

Programming patches with or without wavetables using menus isn't the best starting point. Plus its architecture is funky like having to edit programs only by diving into a multi-sound. Plus, many of them have non-functioning tactile switches that may need cleaning, lithium batteries dying, and their LCD backlights are going out. But if those things don't intimidate meh why not, they're cheap enough these days.
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:11 am

Great instrument, and yes, there are thousands of pre-programmed patches you can load into it if you feel so inclined.

Programming it and learning how its internal memory is organised can be a pain in the arse. It most definitely is no instrument for a beginner, especially when you want to create your own sounds on this instrument. Also, many of them have not aged well and might suffer from keyboards gone bad, defective LCDs, stubborn switches etc. Make sure it´s the "EX" version as it has an expanded wave ROM which is more useful.

If it´s just about *playing*, you will be better off with a more contemporary synthesiser (or an M! or 01/W, if it has to be cheap).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby c-level » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:45 am

scottrod wrote:Good deal, bad beginner synth.

this.

great textures... but a pain to program under the hood. you can check out the korg legacy synth on your comp in the meantime? but i dont think this is a beginner synth
c-level

Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Postby Psy_Free » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:33 pm

As stated, for a first synth a Wavestation would be one of the worst choices purely based on the depth/time/total pain required to program it.

Even when you become familiar with it, it's still a pain in the butt to program which is unfortunate as it is capable of some amazing sounds. Just the amount of button pushing alone puts me off using mine very often (and the buttons can and probably will all die eventually).
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bandcamp : http://sachagibsonklangzeit.bandcamp.com/
Soundcloud : http://soundcloud.com/psy_free
Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Some synths, guitars, effects & circuit bent bongos
Band: Klangzeit

Postby rhino » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:16 pm

WWIW: One question. Do you mean recording backing tracks via audio, (whether on tape or digital), OR do you want to synth to PLAY BACK the track itself - from a sequencer?

If you're recording to multi-track, I'd suggest a Roland SH-201, or Roland Gaia. Both are cheap plastic, BUT have more of a "one-knob-one-function" control of the sound which would make it much easier to work with.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10