Waldorf Blofeld

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Waldorf Blofeld

Postby Joshy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:10 pm

First off I'm a big fan of Waldorf and I've been thinking a lot about picking up a Blofeld as my next synth. I've also really enjoyed my Micro Q so far and have wanted the full fledged Q for a while. Additionally I've wanted to get into wavetables as well via the Microwave. All three of these synths I really enjoy the sounds I've heard from them (Q, Microwave, Blofeld) but I'm feeling a little divided.

I'm wondering how the Blofeld sizes up against the older generation of Q and Microwaves. From what I have read it seems the Blofeld really covers both aspects of being a VA with wavetable capabilities. It seems so versatile and at its price point I can't complain.

The more I look at the Q and MW it seems the only benefit is a knobby interface. If that's the case I'll take a much more robust sound engine with a few less knobs any day.

Thoughts? Any input is appreciated.

Joshy

Advertisement:

Re: Waldorf Blofeld

Postby syntheticsolutions » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:53 am

I really love the Blofeld, it is the first modern digital synth that I have had the urge to buy myself.

I would research the various bugs in the Blofeld's OS. I have had my hands on 3 separate units (all keyboards) and each of them suffered from issues such as control freezes, power cuts, complete loss of preset memory where every patch is reduced to an unnamed click and incredible difficulty syncing to external sources.

Hopefully Waldorf will sort these out asap. The sound is certainly unique and the bang for buck is exceptional!
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.
syntheticsolutions

Gear: OB-8, Jupiter 4, Polysix, Juno 6, RS-505, MS-10, VC-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Dark Energy, Dark Time,Machinedrum, DX, RE-501, DC-50, Roland Rack, Foogers
Band: Lunar Modular

Postby Rick N Boogie » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Agreed. As a synth, it's one of by favorites. Sold my Virus, kept the Blo. Sound engine is incredible, and even with a mere 6 knobs of control, the layout is a breeze and very intuitive. Easy to dig in deep and create stunning sounds. But, as stated, sometimes it'll freeze up and get weird. This usually happens after it's been on a while, and turning it off and rebooting corrects the issue, but I'd hate for that to happen on stage.
Bassist, synth junkie
Rick N Boogie

Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Postby ColorForm2113 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Blofeld is amazing, its practically a digital modular synth. Filters sound really good to (thats coming from a moog fan boy lol) i have had as few issues with it, like the memory problem and it freezing but with the the newest OS (1.16b I think) and having a mod that was recomended by the folks at waldorf (an SMD cap soldered inreplace of one of the other caps for memory storage) I really haven't had any issues since. I do recomend getting one of the free blofeld editors though to back up your patches. I do this maybe every other time I play with it just to keep my mind at ease.

And even with only a couple knobs and buttons, its pretty easy to get around (I'm also typically a knob per function guy)

I would think it would be worth owning multiple waldorf synths, even if they cover a lot of the same ground. They all have their unique charms
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!) Beat Step and Volca Beats
ColorForm2113

Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Postby Joshy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:08 am

Right, thanks for the input. I'll definitely be picking up the Blofeld as my next synth and hopefully the current issues can be fixed by Waldorf.

I may eventually try the other Waldorf synths in the future. I'm definitely interested in the full Q.

Joshy

Postby calaverasgrande » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 am

these have been out fora few years now. There are still stability problems?
How frequent are the freezes?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby Rick N Boogie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:54 am

Since my last post, my Blofeld has not froze up once. And I play with it for hours on end, almost everyday. It has happened a few times in the 8 months or so since I've owned it, but not once since the 4th. Maybe it heard me complaining?
Bassist, synth junkie
Rick N Boogie

Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Postby calaverasgrande » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:07 am

Rick N Boogie wrote:Since my last post, my Blofeld has not froze up once. And I play with it for hours on end, almost everyday. It has happened a few times in the 8 months or so since I've owned it, but not once since the 4th. Maybe it heard me complaining?

I've been itching for one for a couple years now. I am a big fan of the PPG2.3v VST/AU. I'd love to get some of that gristle in my rig without resorting to laptopcore. But I am concerned with the reports of issues.
That doesnt sound that bad. I have drum machines and synths (and an MP201) that glitch more often.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby Joshy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:24 am

I'm tempted to get the Blofeld keyboard version from Guitar Center since their tax saver sale is going on. $200 off their listed price of $999.

Not too shabby in my opinion.

Joshy

Postby Gummi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 pm

I am interested in the blofeld.

do any of you guys know if it would be a good beginner synth.

im only sixteen and have only been messing around making music on and off for 3 years.
Gummi

Postby Ashe37 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:56 pm

Uhm...

I don't know how well someone new to synths would work with a Blofeld. Have you used any other synths- even VSTs? do you understand how subtractive synthesis works? Then there's the editing matrix... if not, something like a Novation Nova or K-Station, or an Access Virus A might be better.

(Not knocking the Blofeld at all, I <3 my Blofeld, I just don't know how good of a beginner synth it makes...)
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho
Band: Eridani V

Postby Bitexion » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 am

Don't scare the guy off buying a Blofeld. A total beginner needs a synth with loads of presets of all kinds. The Blofeld has that in spades.

If he decides to get into synthesis eventually, it's best to teach on a synth you already have instead of spend ages looking for "the right one for me". And Blofeld are pretty darn cheap for all the power you get.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Ashe37 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:38 am

All true :D
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho
Band: Eridani V

Postby ColorForm2113 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:12 am

Actually with all the visual feedback on the oscillators, filters, envelopes and,lfos, I think it would good for a newbie to learn on. I actually used mine to teach synthesis to a friend of mine that had a free synth for a couple weeks.and knew nothing about synths other than the fact that they make ccool sounds
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!) Beat Step and Volca Beats
ColorForm2113

Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Postby Gummi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:24 pm

I well i have ableton on my mac and have only been messing around with operator, mostly learning from youtube and messing around with presets.
Gummi

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide