Need a Basic Sampler with Pretty Basic Features

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Need a Basic Sampler with Pretty Basic Features

Postby kris kirk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:35 am

Im pretty new to samplers and i was wondering if any one would have a suggestion for a basic sampler? Basically what i will be doing is making drum tracks on Logic and importing them into the sampler for playback in a live situation. the drum tracks are roughly 2 minutes to 3:30 minutes and there would be roughly 7 or 8 tracks. I was researching a little and the roland sp-404sx looks like it would be good for this. I also would like the extra space for some small samples here in there that arent as lengthy. would anyone have any other suggestions for samplers for this?

kris
kris kirk

Advertisement:

Re: Need a Basic Sampler with Pretty Basic Features

Postby cartesia » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 am

when you say 7-8 tracks, do you mean layers, or separate ones that you will play one after the other?

also do you need to be able to alter the BPM live?

The SP samplers dont do timestretching and theres not really any way to sync up loops, so it depends what you want to do with them.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:19 am

The new akai MPX8 looks like it'll do exactly that and will be even cheaper than a 404. Not out yet and who knows if features will change but if you don't need it right now it could be worth waiting for. 404 would be a good choice too.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby kris kirk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:20 pm

I mean different files pretty much. i make the drum structure on logic and save it as a wav. i just want to be able to play that wave back. 404sx would be good cause it has the card for a lot of space and storage and leads to other creative outlets later down the line i think. i dont need to alter bpm at all. its all set on the wav when i create it. ill look into the mpx8 as well! thanks for your replies guys!
kris kirk

Postby 8bit9bot » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:40 am

couldnt you use a netbook for this? or even an ipad - i wouldnt want to mess with 2 minute long samples on anything besides a computer
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:25 am

There's no way I'd recommend a netbook for straight playback of long samples, that's crazy talk. An SP-404SX or any sampler that's streaming samples straight off a flash card is a much much much better option.
Stab Frenzy

Postby tallowwaters » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Boss 404 will work fine for this. I know this because I've used it for the exact same thing.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby blavatsky » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:04 pm

+1 404 or 404sx

Plus, they have really fun effects on them...not like studio grade but great for live or sample mangling.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: A4, Bass Station II, Juno 106, x-station, venom, fusion, MV8800, SP555, SP404sx, ESX
Band: Blavatsky

Postby 8bit9bot » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:28 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:There's no way I'd recommend a netbook for straight playback of long samples, that's crazy talk. An SP-404SX or any sampler that's streaming samples straight off a flash card is a much much much better option.

why do you think its crazy talk?
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 am

Because netbooks are built to be a cheap, low power computer, not for working with audio.
Stab Frenzy

Postby Jaytee » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Are you needing to tweak things live or change up the order mid-set? Is this something that a CD player could do?
Jaytee

Postby Ashe37 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:11 pm

Some bands use an iPod (Looks for tshear23)
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby piRoN » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:16 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Because netbooks are built to be a cheap, low power computer, not for working with audio.

Yep. Netbooks are rubbish for audio. I was stuck with one as my only musical tool for a while during a renovation, and they just can't hack it. You might think a dual-core 1.66MHz could handle sample playback easily, but there's something about the way those machines are configured that just can't handle the constant throughput of audio.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | DSI Evolver | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Roland TR-606 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Gear: A fair bit.

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:22 am

piRoN wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Because netbooks are built to be a cheap, low power computer, not for working with audio.

Yep. Netbooks are rubbish for audio. I was stuck with one as my only musical tool for a while during a renovation, and they just can't hack it. You might think a dual-core 1.66MHz could handle sample playback easily, but there's something about the way those machines are configured that just can't handle the constant throughput of audio.

Well, alot of them use Atom CPUs, which lack the out-of-order execution capabilities of 'real' CPUs. That along leaves long strings of instructions being executed one at a time and the CPU idling more than it should be... its a throwback to the 486/68040 days.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby piRoN » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:20 am

Ah, interesting! I've never actually looked into the differences of the Atom architecture before, just marvelled at their inability to handle tasks that my 166MX could accomplish with ease.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | DSI Evolver | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Roland TR-606 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Gear: A fair bit.

Return to Samplers