Extreme Sample Converter---anyone use this?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Extreme Sample Converter---anyone use this?

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:10 pm

I've just bought Alchemy and was reading about loading multisamples in SFZ format. I also own an editor for my Motif XF that lets me import Soundfonts in SF2 format and convert them to XF patches.

While reading up on these two formats I came across discussions about Extreme Sample Converter which is a Windows-only program that does sample format conversions and autosampling outputs from either VSTs and hardware. I'm a Mac guy but I do have an old WinXP laptop sitting around looking for something to do, so I'm wondering whether this could be useful to me or just a waste of time.

Anyone here using ESC and have comments on it esp. related to autolooping, autosampling and quality of conversions?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Advertisement:

Re: Extreme Sample Converter---anyone use this?

Postby Hugo76 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:07 pm

Hey, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I found these links with more info:
http://www.extranslator.com/index.php?page=exsc
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun10/articles/esc.htm
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby D-Collector » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:07 pm

I have used ESC for years, it is great. The S-50, 550, Emax and Universe of Sounds libraries I posted here (in sf2, akai program + wav format) were done with that program. Easy to use, and audio quality is the same as original. There are lots of customization options if you want to change things around.

Every old and obscure sample format, disk image, etc, that I have put in, ESC has nicely converted to modern usable files, while preserving correct loop points and other parameters.

For tweaking it has good auto looping, but sometimes you have to adjust it yourself.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Hugo76 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:31 pm

D-Collector: have you tried the automated sample features? I'm curious to know how good they are
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby D-Collector » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:19 am

I tried it with a vst instrument once but I don't remember how good the result was.. :)

My primary use has been to convert libraries.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to Samplers