Roland Dep 5 vs Boss ce-20

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Roland Dep 5 vs Boss ce-20

Postby Sir Ruff » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Floss wrote:I think this is a common problem with all the unit... I really don't feel comfortable opening it up

Another one with a crapping out output... Does anyone have a solution to this?
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Advertisement:

Postby plus321 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:33 am

Someone once told me that there are relays in Dep5s that keep it from popping or something when it's powered on. So the contacts get dirty or oxidize or whatever and then no output. Open it up and clean the contacts with an eraser.

I trust the person that told me this. Plus they're not that difficult to open.
plus321

Postby Floss » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:02 am

Great info, I wish you had more! Then I might feel comfortable enough to pop it open!
Floss

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Personally I'd rather use separate units for each effect, but it depends no your setup and available space/cash I suppose. Having more than one of each type also allows chaining, and you can string 'em together whichever way you like more easily too.

The CE-2 might be distorting for a number of reasons: dirty jacks, too high input level, even power supply (they're meant for use with the old Boss ACA adapter, which is not 9V regulated like the PSA, and will put out almost 12V - the way round this is to use a battery, or to put the CE-2 after another Boss pedal that runs on 9V - whether you switch it in or not, the grounding between them overcomes the voltage drop issue on the ACA pedal).

Your Small Stone is a nice phaser, and hard to beat for just that sound. I'm currently having a phaser clearout, and am keeping the Moog MF-103 over all the rest (Small Stone, Boss RPH-10 & PH-1r). Flexibility of control wins it.

Strymon seem very good - I have the El Capistan and it's a nice unit - sounds great, and my only complaint is the lack of labelling for the secondary functions of each knob. Otherwise it's much better, albeit more expensive, than the Boss RE-20, and though I've not tried any other twin-pedal Boss units, I imagine I'd feel the same about them overall.

Used pedals can be cheap and there are some hidden gems. Experiment and see what you can find, would be my approach. 8-)
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby Sir Ruff » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:19 pm

plus321 wrote:Someone once told me that there are relays in Dep5s that keep it from popping or something when it's powered on. So the contacts get dirty or oxidize or whatever and then no output. Open it up and clean the contacts with an eraser.

I trust the person that told me this. Plus they're not that difficult to open.

Can you specify what contacts exactly? On the actual output jacks? (I'm not sure what a relay would look like.)

I found mine stopped crackling somewhat as it warmed up, but I'd rather get in there and clean whatever.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby plus321 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:59 pm

No, the contacts in the relay switch. Sorry I can not say more. I just don't know 100%, but I do know it is an issue with them. I've never had to fix mine. I have opened a few up to set them to "always on" because the power switch is broken on 75% of them that I see. Mine is held in with electrical tape, haha.

I would have to see the inside of one to be able to point it out, but I can't open mine right now because I'm working on something with it.
plus321

Postby plus321 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:35 pm

From what I remember vaguely, they are in the back by the outputs maybe right at them and I feel like I remember them being in clear cases.
plus321

Postby Floss » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:10 am

Yeah this is a real issue with them. Im surprised there isn't a full informtative thread about them, since alot of people use them
Floss

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:14 pm

plus321 wrote:From what I remember vaguely, they are in the back by the outputs maybe right at them and I feel like I remember them being in clear cases.

Ok, this is a starting point! Can you use deoxit? Or is the eraser somehow more efficient? I suppose an eraser followed by deoxit might be the best method.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Floss » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 pm

Where do you by the eraser? and what type of product is it?
Floss

Postby plus321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:48 pm

I asked about it and it is a little involved. Basically you open it up, unsolder the relays (it will be obvious; clear cased by outputs), then you can pop off the plastic case and clean the contacts.

These relays are there so it doesn't pop when you turn it on. Basically, it is a switch that is open (disconnected) until power is given to it (turn it on), then it physically closes and lets signal through the outputs. The switch contacts will corrode or oxidize or whatever and then the signal will be distorted.

My mixer does this a lot. Like the connections get dirty and sometimes a loud signal will "punch through" and it will work again, which explains why it works better after you've warmed it up and passed a signal through it.
plus321

Postby plus321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:51 pm

By eraser, I just meant a pencil eraser. It doesn't matter what you use to clean it. I take no responsibility for anyone damaging their dep 5 based on this information and that's all I can say. If anyone decides to do it, it would be cool to document it with photos, etc for the future.
plus321

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts