Hello! How Much Should I expect to Pay for ARP Axxe Repair?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Hello! How Much Should I expect to Pay for ARP Axxe Repair?

Postby SongJohn » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:34 am

Hello! My Arp Axxe Died WAAY back in 2005!
Here's the problem - the filter went down! It still powers on, and the OSC works when an alligator clip is tied directly to output, so it's just the filter.
So here is what needs to be repaired:
1) The filter
2) The ad-on PPC is completely disconnected and will need to be re-wired and working again (I want the PPC to work for sure!)

And 3), this is a sort of a Question. I wish to turn my Arp Axxe into a midi controller so I can use the AXXE to control an M-tron (mellotron) program on my PC. Is this what the Kenton Midi socket is for? Or is the kenton midi thing just to allow an external controller to control the OSC on the Axxe? I don't really need that, because I have the Keyboard on the Axxe to control the AXXE lol.

If indeed I can turn my Axxe into a MIDI controller, this would be the third upgrade I would want to have performed on my Axxe. So with this in mind, how much expense am I looking at? I'm not rich, but at the same time I am motivated to have this fixed as it has been broken for like 8 years lol.

How much should I expect to pay for all this work, and who on the east Coast can be trusted to do this without over-charging me or taking 3 months?? I live in CT, but I would ship to Boston/NY. Any pro tips? This means so much to me that you'd take the time to help me with my problem. Thanks so much. John

SongJohn

Gear: 1976 Arp AXXE
1976 Octave Cat
Band: John Valencia's Musical Sound

Advertisement:

Re: Hello! How Much Should I expect to Pay for ARP Axxe Repa

Postby Kronik » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:16 pm

This sort of repair is bread and butter to me ;) But I'm in the UK :(

You'll have a hard time using the Axxe as a midi controller, as you'll either have to convert the whole keybed to output CV & MIDI (DIY Project that CAN be done, but just not worth the effort IMHO) or invest in a CV to MIDI converter (not the standard MIDI to CV, which you already have), which are few and far between.

If you only ever play your Axxe manually, then the Kenton retrofit is no use to you, it's for external MIDI control of the oscillator pitch and envelope gate - but at least it's there if you ever want to control the Axxe via your DAW.
Kronik

Gear: Korg Kronos, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE 18U ARP Based Modular, BroadWAVE Minimoog Clone, Roland Fantom X6, Roland XV88, Studiologic Sledge.

Postby SongJohn » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:21 pm

You know what, that's fine. Thank you for the advice. I just decided right now that I'd rather just pay for a used Memotron for Mellotron sounds.

So, considering just the Filter and PPC control, what might an experienced tech charge for this work? Thanks!
SongJohn

1976 Octave Cat

Postby SongJohn » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Anyone got any tips? I tried looking up NY /boston area repair, and everyone has conflicting opinions. I'm just trying to find someone credible.
SongJohn

1976 Octave Cat

Postby bochelli » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:31 am

SongJohn wrote:Anyone got any tips? I tried looking up NY /boston area repair, and everyone has conflicting opinions. I'm just trying to find someone credible.

Synthrestore in Bedford England could offer a new filter, that guy there has tons of ARP synths awaiting repair.
yamoto773
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Return to HELP!