So why is the MPC renaissance like $1000?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

So why is the MPC renaissance like $1000?

Postby Alex E » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:58 pm

It's a hardware controller. I don't really get the idea of the new MPC's aside from the idea of them competing with Maschine, but that's in itself is a lot cheaper. Isn't the whole point of owning an MPC to not be tethered to a computer?
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Advertisement:

Re: So why is the MPC renaissance like $1000?

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:27 pm

Hardware controller + software + audio interface. And they think the MPC name makes it worth more.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby D-Collector » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:19 am

I think it's completely stupid. Yes, the MPC has up to now been about freedom, and hitting pads on a dedicated platform with solid timing. Why couldn't they just make a slightly larger standalone MPC "studio" and give it the 60/3000 "capabilities" they brag about for the Ren? I mean the Studio actually looks decent, certainly better than the 1k and that generation. And feels fairly sturdy. It is nothing more than a controller, they are just riding on the name and legacy and it is a shame.

I really miss my 2000 classic. Solid as a rock. I had to sell it to fund some important stuff. The only thing I would change would be to have OS onboard and not booting it from floppy, a display that did not self destruct, and better storage option (although that can be solved now). Never cared much for the quality of the newer MPCs, and I'm not rich enough to buy the 3k/60s in anything but a beat-up state.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby bluntedcircuit » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:58 am

They should have made an mpc1000 mk2, it'd be the only way I'd get rid of my current MPC. New pads, slimmer profile and battery power like an MPC 500 and virus ti like integration with daws. I mean just as a controller it blows every generic pad controller out of the water in quality.

The renaissance is goofy, costs as much as real hardware, and misses one of the points of success for maschine - knobs are labeled on the unit itself. The ren has more knobs but you still have to look at the computer to know what their assignment is. Might as well stick with an mpd.
bluntedcircuit

Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Postby Em Pe Ge » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:22 am

$1,000 Numark midi controller with fancy lights on it.

lol, seriously though. I bet it's pretty sweet, it's just about twice as much as what it should be. There's absolutely no reason that thing should be anymore than $500.

Calling it an MPC was quite a bold move by Akai.
Em Pe Ge

Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Postby tekkentool » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:55 am

To be fair it does have quite a few features (like the 4x midi out, 2x midi in. 2x XLR / 1/4 inch pres. 2x the amount of knobs. Much physically larger/sturdier) that the maschine doesn't...So I think expecting it to come in at exactly the same price as the maschine is probably a little unreasonable.

If it works like it's supposed to being tethered to a computer shouldn't be that bad, it's not like you're forced to look at the computer you should be able to work entirely on the controller if you want. I'd be bringing a computer anywhere I'd be doing music stuff anyway (though I know not everybody wants to do it that way).
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby nogginj » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:35 pm

The software is the real hold up here.
From what I've read it can hardly be used without looking at the computer, and there are ridiculous bugs / features in the strangest places.
My favorite example is 'non-destructive' chop...they call it non destructive because for every 'chop' you make, it copies the entire sound file and updates the start and end point.
I mean this sort of paradigm (copy the original for every change you make) has NEVER been ok in computing.
Even samplers in the 80s were keeping the sound in memory and simply altering the start points...this is just bizarre.
nogginj

Postby bluntedcircuit » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:29 am

I feel like maschine made its success, in that it was inspired by the MPC, but also offered something completely new. The renaissance is good looking hardware but the fact is, it is trying to play catch up with software that's better made and had more development. I'm clearly not anti software but having to look at the screen defeats the purpose of having a dedicated control surface.

Ha come on akai, borrow a page from the access virus
bluntedcircuit

Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Postby nogginj » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:24 pm

Come to think of it - shouldn't this be in the software section?
nogginj

Postby kuroichi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:59 pm

nogginj wrote:Come to think of it - shouldn't this be in the software section?

Hahahahaha!
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Alex E » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:33 am

nogginj wrote:Come to think of it - shouldn't this be in the software section?

I was actually considering posting it there. :lol:
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Return to Samplers