Waldorf Blofeld

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Waldorf Blofeld

Postby zoomtheline » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:44 pm

Get one. I have two and love them even despite the freezes and glitches. The sound and flexibility outweight the issues. As Colorform said above... The display is really intuitive and helps you grasp synthesis quite easily. It taught me better routes to go about my waldorf Pulse which I have used for years before getting a Blofeld.
It's cheap, easy to use and very deep if need be. Try it, I can't recommend any other synth for ease of use over this without going simple vintage mono or a Juno maybe. No other VA will walk you through synthesis like the Blofeld.
zoomtheline

Advertisement:

Postby Plumpudding » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:07 pm

The Blofeld rocks. You can get anything from pure beauty to utter madness out of it, with a little dedication. I find the interface very well laid-out and easy to grasp. I haven't had a lot of glitches with the latest os. Just be aware of the encoder-related problems. My main is glitchy, and it's a pain.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound
Plumpudding

Band: Dwarfland

Postby zoomtheline » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 pm

There is a fix and it works pretty well if you don't mind a bit of soldering.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HgECBaVp ... gECBaVp-wc

I think this vid shows the fix.
zoomtheline

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 pm

That fixes the encoders (they should do it when they build them) but is no help with the OS bugs related to clock synching.

Not to scare him away, but I think a newbie should at least understand the Blofeld OS isn't as bulletproof as typical Korg, Roland, Yamaha, etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby zoomtheline » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:13 am

True but I don't think the dude is going to be running into those issues yet. I know I don't have those issues and I use the desktop for live use too.
zoomtheline

Postby Plumpudding » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:04 am

meatballfulton wrote:Not to scare him away, but I think a newbie should at least understand the Blofeld OS isn't as bulletproof as typical Korg, Roland, Yamaha, etc.

Ofc. That said, I've only had the OS glitch out on me a couple of times in the time I've had mine, and only once live, when it suddenly stopped receiving midi and sending audio. That was quite a scary moment, looking from the audience to my collaborator, tearing my whole setup apart to try and fix it, hah. I haven't had any problems after I installed the latest OS, though.

I tried the fix linked earlier in this thread, but my main encoder is still glitchy. It worked on all the others though. I just dial slowly with the main, one click at the time... works well enough. Patience is still a virtue I guess.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound
Plumpudding

Band: Dwarfland

Postby Jabberwalky » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Might as well post the question here. This seems like a cheap digital, crunchy, wavey sort of synth. I have the Sq80 covering a good amount of ground there, but this also looks really interesting and unique. I'm torn between this or the Evolver. Would anyone that's owned both like to give their opinion? Has the new OS on the Blofeld fixed the problems?
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby cgren72 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:53 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Has the new OS on the Blofeld fixed the problems?

I've not had any problems with the new OS.
cgren72

Postby Hugo76 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:40 am

There is an iPad editor for the Blofeld just released:
http://www.idesignsound.com/blindcontrol-ipad/
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Rick N Boogie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:06 pm

I'm likely to trim down to only 2 synths, my Blofeld and Evolver keyboards. I couldn't pick one of the two, as they are so completely different. Monosynth with 16x4 step sequencer vs. a fully polyphonic digital- you'd have to make some choices.
Bassist, synth junkie
Rick N Boogie

Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/MoPho
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Postby Infinity Curve » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:53 pm

meatballfulton wrote: the OS bugs related to clock synching.

This was my main beef with it, it was a bitch to get it to sync. All those awesome arps/clock sync'd modulations, but it really didn't like to stay in sync with external clocks, and would drift noticeably pretty quickly. It was quite frustrating when you are trying to record parts, and they keep drifting off time. It did sound awesome though!

Fairly certain I was on the latest OS, unless they released another one in the last year.

Still might pick one up again since they come up used and super cheap quite regularly around here. Maybe go for the keyboard version.
Infinity Curve

Gear: SH101, Micromoog, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Postby Jabberwalky » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm thinking keyboard as well. The added sample memory seems worth it. Any comments on the build quality in regards to keys and knobs on the keyboard version??
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8

Postby Ashe37 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:59 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I'm thinking keyboard as well. The added sample memory seems worth it. Any comments on the build quality in regards to keys and knobs on the keyboard version??

You know the sample memory is available for the regular Blofeld as a software upgrade, right?

the know quality on the KB is basically the same...
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby Jabberwalky » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:27 pm

I did see that on the page. After listening to a jexus demo I'm impressed by its depth.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8

Postby tallowwaters » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Might as well post the question here. This seems like a cheap digital, crunchy, wavey sort of synth. I have the Sq80 covering a good amount of ground there, but this also looks really interesting and unique. I'm torn between this or the Evolver. Would anyone that's owned both like to give their opinion? Has the new OS on the Blofeld fixed the problems?

I've had both, and they are quite complementary of one another.

My experience was that the Evolver put Evolver all over my tracks, while the Blofeld was easier to push into the foreground or background. This is likely due to the way I used them, but the Blofeld seemed a little more versatile, at least with the polyphony, if nothing else. While the Blofeld can certainly get crunchy, it has a sort of glassy, digital gloss to most all of its sounds. The Evo is going to have the most overlap with SQ80 in regards to general character.

Personally, I think owning the desktop version of both would be a good idea, but that's not very helpful is it?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide