Keeping My Roland JP8000 By A Window

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Keeping My Roland JP8000 By A Window

Postby magnawolf » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:04 am

Hey I just got a JP-8000 and I was wondering if it's okay to leave it by a window? Any foreseeable problems with this? It has a cloth cover over it to protect it from dust.
magnawolf

Advertisement:

Re: Keeping My Roland JP8000 By A Window

Postby Psy_Free » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:13 am

Will direct sunlight shine through this window onto it ? If so, then I wouldn't.
Can people see through this window from the outside ? If so, then I wouldn't.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bandcamp : http://sachagibsonklangzeit.bandcamp.com/
Soundcloud : http://soundcloud.com/psy_free
Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Some synths, guitars, effects & circuit bent bongos
Band: Klangzeit

Postby Hybrid88 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:35 am

UV is not good for plastic.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby silikon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:UV is not good for plastic.

Yeah, but if you leave it in front of the window for an extended length of time, a few years or even months from now we can hear about your "one of a kind" army green JP8000... ;)
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby c-level » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 pm

silikon wrote:

Yeah, but if you leave it in front of the window for an extended length of time, a few years or even months from now we can hear about your "one of a kind" army green JP8000... ;)

my micromoog panel overlay is one of a kind blotched/faded from years of sitting in a scrap shop :roll:
c-level

Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Postby Re-Member » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Even if it's protected from sunlight, there's the issue of humidity working it's way into synth and potentially causing problems. My previous apartment had a basement which I kept all my gear in, so I set up everything next to this window since it had the best lighting. After three years of sitting down there, I noticed a few screws started to rust on some of my gear. Even with the window being sealed, humidity was coming through. I opened things up and luckily there was no internal rust, but now I know it's better to be safe than sorry.
Re-Member

Postby silikon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:34 pm

Re-Member wrote:Even if it's protected from sunlight, there's the issue of humidity working it's way into synth and potentially causing problems. My previous apartment had a basement which I kept all my gear in, so I set up everything next to this window since it had the best lighting. After three years of sitting down there, I noticed a few screws started to rust on some of my gear. Even with the window being sealed, humidity was coming through. I opened things up and luckily there was no internal rust, but now I know it's better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah, that's another side effect of living in a moist/salty environment -- my studio is a basement setup, and I have a dehumidifer down here going steady, attempting to keep that sort of thing in check.

c-level wrote:
silikon wrote:

my micromoog panel overlay is one of a kind blotched/faded from years of sitting in a scrap shop :roll:

You should post in the BST threads asking about your one of a kind "urban camo" micro. I'll sit back and enjoy that show. :D
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:12 am

silikon wrote:

haha good one :lol:
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby severen » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:02 am

silikon wrote:

how about microwave I?
this mean... can I make more expensive version?

severen

Postby Jaytee » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Re-Member wrote:Even if it's protected from sunlight, there's the issue of humidity working it's way into synth and potentially causing problems. My previous apartment had a basement which I kept all my gear in, so I set up everything next to this window since it had the best lighting. After three years of sitting down there, I noticed a few screws started to rust on some of my gear. Even with the window being sealed, humidity was coming through. I opened things up and luckily there was no internal rust, but now I know it's better to be safe than sorry.

Guarantee this had a lot more to do with being in a basement than being near a closed window. In fact, had the window been open, it might have allowed for better circulation of air and less moisture.
Jaytee

Return to General Synthesizers