Analog Four vs Polymorph

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Analog Four vs Polymorph

Postby danbroad » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:07 pm

Definitely not done before. Berlin Schoolers rejoice, for there is a new brick in the (Klaus Schulze) wall! So, is the Elektron xox sequencer and p-locks as intriguing as the 960 module, even though there's no direct step skip/reverse function (yet)? With an all-analogue engine, who'd still take a VA Polymorph over one of these? They're both around the same price, the existence of the A4 will not affect the price of the other due to its rarity. Someone feasibly in the market for one could and will consider the other.

The Analog Four could feasibly make it onto the 'maybe list' of a number of different gear purchasers. Dark Energy and Dark Time? Small mono modular and sequencer? Xoxbox, maybe even a 303?

But anyway, as someone who was on the lookout for a Polymorph the Analog four seems to do more of the things I want with a sound I like. For now, the Polymorph has the edge in polyphony and realtime control, but the Analog Four is cheap (for what it offers) and capable as hell. Anyone out there own both, or experience with both?
Less words more noise
danbroad

Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Advertisement:

Re: Analog Four vs Polymorph

Postby danbroad » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:49 am

Oh well, not a popular contest. FWIW, the A4 is imcredible. Just one long LFO 16-step sequence with delay and a little verb stops me dead in my tracks, and I can sit back and listen to it run and run... And yet that sequence could have 64 steps, with P-locks on each step... And there's still another 3 tracks still to go.... And the FX can be p-locked... And it could act as a filterbank...

Soooo many possibilities.
Less words more noise
danbroad

Postby zoomtheline » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 am

Never tried a polymorph but I hear it has quite a character for a VA. I must admit, the spec and demo's don't grab me. To be honest, not much grabs me in the way of VA, The blofeld sequenced by a Machinedrum is doing anything I can imagine. This paired with the Analogue four is a real treat. The A4 is really amazing and has quashed alot of gas. I'd like to try all these new synths but I know I won't need any of them. The A4 covers everything. The sound is great and controlling my older gear to add the tones it can't cover has brought everything together for me. Plus, if you like sequencing it is capable of some really nice poly tricks especially with the new OS update where the sub osc can be tuned to a 5th below the main osc.
zoomtheline

Postby danbroad » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:22 am

Yeah, really must do an OS update at some point!

At the moment, I have the A4 atop my digital piano. With a little Rhodes dialled in, it's instant Vangelis.... Fantastic.
Less words more noise
danbroad

Postby zoomtheline » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:47 am

Sounds rad! get on that OS, It's so much more stable than a few of the previous.
zoomtheline

Postby Hugo76 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:10 pm

After watching some demo videos of the A4, I realise I have to have it. And the Octatrack. What totally mindblowing products! Awesome :-D
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby zoomtheline » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Hugo76 wrote:After watching some demo videos of the A4, I realise I have to have it. And the Octatrack. What totally mindblowing products! Awesome :-D

Yes, although the workflow and learning curve for the Octatrack is much steeper than any of their other products. The A4 is really simple and instant.
zoomtheline

Postby Hugo76 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:13 pm

zoomtheline wrote:
Hugo76 wrote:After watching some demo videos of the A4, I realise I have to have it. And the Octatrack. What totally mindblowing products! Awesome :-D

Yes, although the workflow and learning curve for the Octatrack is much steeper than any of their other products. The A4 is really simple and instant.

I'm guessing it'll be worth it to invest the necessary amount of time on the Octatrack. Plus, the tutorials on youtube seem very helpful :-)
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby danbroad » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:11 pm

the Octatrack is an amazing, frustrating piece of kit. The A4, by comparison, was a few minutes to learn [although I'm familiar with the Elektron workflow].

Tip; rather than be tempted to fill the OT with loops, instead fill it with snippets of random sound. With loops, I used it less creatively. With random bleeps and bloops, it comes alive and you think far further outside the box!
Less words more noise
danbroad

Postby Hugo76 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:31 pm

danbroad wrote:the Octatrack is an amazing, frustrating piece of kit. The A4, by comparison, was a few minutes to learn [although I'm familiar with the Elektron workflow].

Tip; rather than be tempted to fill the OT with loops, instead fill it with snippets of random sound. With loops, I used it less creatively. With random bleeps and bloops, it comes alive and you think far further outside the box!

Thanks for that tip, Dan :-) Hope I can afford these babies sometime this summer, I can't wait
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to Synth Shootouts