Replacement for Kurzweil K2000

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Replacement for Kurzweil K2000

Postby Trevor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:28 pm

This is probably a newbie question, but I need some advice... My trusty Kurzweil K2000 has bit the dust and I am considering a newer replacement. I play in a British covers band (60s to present) so a versatile range of on-demand patches is a must... piano, organ, brass, 80s synths, shakuhachi, you name it. I liked the K2000 because I could dial up patch numbers and have them ready for changes on the fly in mid song. Can I get a similar variety from any of the newer keyboards out there? I hear lots of players emulating piano/organ and not too much else. Any advice would be welcome!

Looking to spend less than $1000 if I can... :-)
Trevor

Advertisement:

Re: Replacement for Kurzweil K2000

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:53 am

You should be able to get a K2500 for under $1000 these days, if I were you I'd be sticking with Kurzweil, their stuff is great. If you're looking for new check out the SP4 or PC3LE series, they're a little over your budget but sound great.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby tim gueguen » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:06 pm

What did in your K2000? Any chance it's fixable?
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound
tim gueguen

Postby Trevor » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:40 am

Random and unpredictable, wild slips of transposition while playing--sometimes as much as a minor third up (or down), sometimes even microtonally. I'm not good with electronics at all so am not even sure where to start with self-servicing...
Trevor

Postby n3wt15 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:50 am

I have a Kurzweil Pc3x for sale, its a bit over what you are looking to spend, but my favorite of the kurzweils I have owned, plus a computer editor which made things a breeze to work with.
n3wt15

Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Postby krzeppa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:You should be able to get a K2500 for under $1000 these days, if I were you I'd be sticking with Kurzweil, their stuff is great. If you're looking for new check out the SP4 or PC3LE series, they're a little over your budget but sound great.

I really like the sound of the PC3LE. If you can afford it that would be a good choice. I've almost broke down and bought one a couple of different times because it just sounds so nice. The problem is I don't need because I have enough gear to cover what I need, but that sure is nice board.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Accordion, Bag Pipes, Concertina, Banjo, and Wash Board
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Return to Buyer's Guide