Arturia Minibrute vs Roland SH-2....RAW SAWTOOTH

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Arturia Minibrute vs Roland SH-2....RAW SAWTOOTH

Postby chimney chop » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 pm

i loved the brash, snarly sawtooth sound of the sawtooth oscillators in the SH-2/(SH-09) when i owned one.

bought a Mopho in its absence and while i love it, it's just not quite as mean as the SH-2.

will the Minibrute get near to the oh so lovely sawtooth i'm sorely missing from my SH-2?

ps: i'm aware of the many feature/functionality differences of the 2 synths, i would just like to hear some comparisons of the basic raw sound of the two from anyone who's owned both
chimney chop

Advertisement:

Re: Arturia Minibrute vs Roland SH-2....RAW SAWTOOTH

Postby chimney chop » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:08 am

anyone?
chimney chop

Postby Kenneth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 am

While I don't have personal experience with the SH-2, I owned a Minibrute for a few months and would say that it sounds very aggressive and gritty. Just the raw saw wave sounds gnarly, but when paired with a sub osc set to a square wave, it sounds outright mean. That's not what I wanted, so I sold it a few days ago. However, I harbor great respect for the instrument, and I recommend it if you want that harsh Korg MS-10/20 sound without paying stupid vintage prices.
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby chimney chop » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:59 am

Kenneth wrote:While I don't have personal experience with the SH-2, I owned a Minibrute for a few months and would say that it sounds very aggressive and gritty. Just the raw saw wave sounds gnarly, but when paired with a sub osc set to a square wave, it sounds outright mean. That's not what I wanted, so I sold it a few days ago. However, I harbor great respect for the instrument, and I recommend it if you want that harsh Korg MS-10/20 sound without paying stupid vintage prices.

cool, that helps a lot. thanks!
chimney chop

Postby Zamise » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:01 pm

I have a Mopho keys and a Minibrute, no SH tho so I can't say how it compares to that. I can't particularly recall just using the saw and what exactly it sounds like on the Mopho either, but the MB's is memorable from last time I used it in my mind. I do know the MB is funner to use than the Mopho and sculpting new and interesting sounds come more easily on it too, but you can't save or store them. The mopho probably has wider range of sounds and a lot more stuff on it, both are beautiful to look at too, the MB is just more fun, the Mopho more serious. If it is just a raw saw wave you are after I suppose that would be easy and quick to do without needing any patch storage, just slide the slider up and put the rest down. Fun and simple. The pulse and pwm is note worthy too on the MB. I've had some trouble considering which would be better to keep, I almost sold the mopho at one point in a deal, but it didn't work out, and the Mb wasn't supposed to be mine but that deal fell short too and I kept it. So I wasn't supposed to have either but I have both now. If it came down to one or the other I'd probably let the mopho go before the MB.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby SWAN » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:47 pm

the SH2 has a more vintage tone than the brute-I think its prob a bit 'fatter'. I think the brute does sound more raw than the mopho tho...seems to have quite an edgy sound. Ive had an SH2 and mopho but not a brute. Personally I dont like the sound of it - seems a bit edgy to me - but some love it and it looks like a fun feature set.
SWAN

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:26 pm

MB and SH2 raw sawtooth. As close to in tune as possible. Wide open filter. No eq.
Can you tell which one is first?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby zoomtheline » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Wow, pretty similar really. First one is SH for sure though.
zoomtheline

Postby Jabberwalky » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:56 pm

First one is the SH. Nice work. What did you base that from? I personally can barely hear a difference.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby zoomtheline » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 am

Slightly softer, not as harsh on the high end and reminded me of my SH09 which is pretty much the same as the SH2.
zoomtheline

Return to Synth Shootouts