ENSONIQ TS10 & TS12 users

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

ENSONIQ TS10 & TS12 users

Postby arcturus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:36 am

Hi Guys,

Recently got a TS12, just wanted some help if possible from fellow synthheads out there who have one of these amazing machines. I have the user guide documents but they read like a japanese vcr instruction manual lol.

Im trying to put on new patches. From what i understand, I can just buy a usb to floppy drive for $10 and some cheap floppys and just put the files on from my pc? Is this right. Just wanna double check before i spend money buying them.

I also understand you need special floppy disks for putting on samples? Is this right? and for patches you just get normal 1.44mb floppy disks?

My demo songs do not play as well. The songs with a $ in front of them do nothing when i press play. Other than this the synth seems perfect. I wonder if something has been damaged or i need to reinitialize it.

Does anyone have some links to patches too. Im really after dx7 sounds and old analog sounds. I have found this site but just wanna know if theres anymore links to good sites. http://www.ts12.net/ts12-ev-specification.html

Hope to chat to some fellow users of this synth soon, Perhaps we can all trade patches soon.

Amazing synth by the way. Ive owned a Polysix, Juno 6, 3 x Yamaha dx7's, Triton Xtreme 76, Roland d70, Roland d20, Roland SUper JX and this is one amazing synth! So much better than a nasty Triton.

Thanks guys!
arcturus

Advertisement:

Re: ENSONIQ TS10 & TS12 users

Postby Ashe37 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:34 am

No, you can't just use a USB floppy drive. The Ensoniq synths don't read or write PC-formatted floppies.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho
Band: Eridani V

Postby arcturus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:09 am

Ahhhhhh okay thanks for that much appreciated.

Can i ask which floppies do i need to buy? Are they even available? In the manual it just says to use a double sided standard floppy disk so am very confused.

Am i better off using a site like this an ordering on of theirs? http://www.syntaur.com/ts_sounds.html
arcturus

Postby Ashe37 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:05 am

Yes, it uses DSDD floppies. the problem is getting a modern PC to write a floppy disk format that the TS series can read.

As for presets, I think the TS can read VFX presets, someone correct me if that is wrong...
Ashe37

Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho

Postby rhino » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:42 pm

To save and load sounds/samples/sequences to a computer you will need these:

1) an older PC running Windows 98
2) a working floppy drive in the computer - NOT A USB ADD-ON DRIVE !!!!
3) Software from http://www.giebler.com/ called "EDM"

This synth is one of the all-time greats! All information is in the manual, but it is NOT layed out well. Keep digging and studying - exprementation is the key to learning.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby arcturus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:56 pm

Wow that sucks hehe does anyone wanna send me some of their floppy disks with patches and Ill pay you over paypal?

Im really after the dx7 patches and any analog 80's type sounds i can get my hands on for it. I have downloaded them from a ts10/12 fan site.

You can send via post to Vegas. If interested let me know and I can sort out a appropriate payment. I could even send the disks back after too if your in short supply.

Also one little thing too if you guys can help. I press play on the songs which are the ones marked with the "$" sign and dont hear anything at all. so far i havent managed to play any sequencer patterns or songs. Ive read the manual and swear i am doing it right but hear nothing play. DO you think something is broken? Seems strange because the synth is really in mint condition almost like new and every button works and Im sure the play button works too. I can edit and do everything else fine. Havent managed to record anything yet but think thats because im just not doing it right.

Thanks tons! and sorry for any stupid questions.
arcturus

Postby rhino » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:16 am

This is a realy good place to get disks:

http://floppydisk.com/

I THINK the TS series will take either DSDD or DSHD floppies. Let me check.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:10 am

Sorry, i really don't know because I don't use the sequencer on these...
Ashe37

Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho

Postby arcturus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:39 am

Thats okay, thanks for your help anyways. Getting an old pc and floppy disks is too much of a pain.

I have just ordered from http://www.syntaur.com/ts_sounds.html their synthesaurus collection, Although would love some dx7 sounds too.

Thanks people. And if anyone can help me play the demo songs that would be great. I still dont hear anything and most of the time "MREC" flashes on the left which is obviously midi recording which i dont want.

ill continue to read the huge manual.
arcturus

Return to General Synthesizers