Suggest me a sampler!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Suggest me a sampler!

Postby f__p » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:24 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a simple sampler (sorry for the pun!) to trigger loops live. I don't really need a sequencer, but just a device which could load loops (previously created on my computer) and play them live (obviously in sync with each other). If this could be of any help, think of the use of samples and loops by Panda Bear (one of the guys of Animal Collective) in his "Person Pitch" album. Right now I'm triggering loops from a Mac, but would love to get rid of my computer when playing live. I saw Panda Bear using Roland SP404 and 555, but would something like a MPC500 work as well for this kind of application? Is there any other sampler I didn't mention? I don't really need to record loops on the fly nor to have a dedicated sequencer.. My budget is quite tight, I'd like to stay under 300€ used..

Thanks for your attention!
f__p

Advertisement:

Re: Suggest me a sampler!

Postby tallowwaters » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:46 am

The SP404 works well in this application; I've used one live.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Re: Suggest me a sampler!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:11 am

Yeah the SP-404 is the standard for what you're looking for. The SX model is a bit of an upgrade from the regular 404 in terms of storage size and type but the regular 404 will do the job, get whichever your budget will allow.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Return to Samplers