Linux-based softsynths

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Re: Linux-based softsynths

Postby masstronaut » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:24 pm

This din is noise thing looks amazing(ly nerdy.)

http://dinisnoise.org/
masstronaut

Advertisement:

Postby stephen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Yes it's pretty cool. Unfortunately I only have a low-end laptop with intel graphics, I get nothing but xruns with it.
Stephen(2)
stephen

Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Postby musden » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:45 am

Hi chaps! I cant understand. Why bristol synths dont appear in launcher? :roll: How should I run this app correctly? :(
musden

Gear: polivoks, m-audio venom, waldorf blofeld
Band: aipracs

Postby briandc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:56 am

musden wrote:Hi chaps! I cant understand. Why bristol synths dont appear in launcher? :roll: How should I run this app correctly? :(

As far as I know, bristol has to be run using the command line (terminal).

Type
Code: Select all
man bristol
and it will tell you what to do. I think it's

Code: Select all
startBristol -mini
where "midi" can be replaced by the synth you want to use. Read the full page to know which synth name to use.

If you have Jack running as your sound control, I think bristol will connect to it automatically.

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Gear: 2 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Postby musden » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:03 pm

thank you for help
musden

Postby briandc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:49 am

musden wrote:thank you for help

No problem.
I've experimented with Bristol, but I think it needs some work. And the GUIs are too small for me.
At any rate, I hope to add a page about it on my site, sometime soon..

brian
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Postby musden » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:18 pm

briandc wrote:
hope to add a page about it on my site, sometime soon..

brian

That would be cool!

One day it turned out that I got Linux on one of my computers, so then I've became interested in virtual synths for that system. Sometimes I open amsynth, turn some knobs and play something :) .
musden

Postby briandc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:36 pm

musden wrote:
briandc wrote:
hope to add a page about it on my site, sometime soon..

brian

That would be cool!

One day it turned out that I got Linux on one of my computers, so then I've became interested in virtual synths for that system. Sometimes I open amsynth, turn some knobs and play something :) .

Nice to hear! :D
Nick (the creator/developer) has been making lots of changes. So until the final release is out, the best version is the version on the website link under the amSynth page.
I'm finishing my 9th bank of patches--- and still finding/discovering new sounds! (8 banks are already available, 7 of them are in the version at the link. The other is downloadable from my site. Bank 9 will be done and posted there shortly.)

I run amSynth through the Calf plugin package. Calf is a great set of effects (and monosynth) that really enhance the patches.... at this point, sounds need effects in order to be considered "valid," so I add a bit of chorus/reverb/delay to fatten things a bit..

brian
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Postby stephen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:45 pm

The calf plugins are some of my favourites on any platform.

Sometimes I might fire up rakkarack instead (or as well!). Works great with external hardware, or with hydrogen drum sequencer.
Stephen(2)
stephen

House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Postby Jorvik » Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 pm

I get the impression that the Bristol synths are not very good emulations of the actual synths, except in looks and workflow. Of course, that isn't necessarily a problem for many people -- I guess it depends which side of the "who cares, if it sounds good it is good"/"but it doesn't sound authentic for that instrument" fence you fall on :lol:

Bristol synth developer wrote:The algrithms [sic] employed were 'gleaned' from a variety of sources including the original owners [sic] manuals, so they may be a better source of information. Some of them were built just from descriptions of their operation, or from understanding how synths work - most of them were based on the Mini Moog anyway. Many of the synths share components: the filter covers most of them, the Prophets and Oberheims share a common oscillator...

Emphasis mine. Sharing oscillators and filters is probably fine for some of the Prophets and Obies, but their filters are very different to the Moogs and ARPs, which are different to each other as well.

A friend who is pretty well acquainted with my Solina has tried the Bristol Solina and doesn't think it comes anywhere close. I tried the Axxe briefly, shortly after I got one, and it didn't seem particularly close, although I didn't mess around with it for long as I just can't be arsing about with softsynths any more. Maybe one day, if I get really bored, I might do a more in-depth comparison against my Solina, Oddy and Axxe.

Argh, just thought I'd give the Solina a quick try, it segfaults the moment I send any midi to it. Bollocks to it.
Jorvik

Gear: Axxe, Odyssey & Pro Soloist; Mopho keybd; Dark Energy & A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty SII

Postby briandc » Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 am

Jorvik wrote:I get the impression that the Bristol synths are not very good emulations of the actual synths, except in looks and workflow. Of course, that isn't necessarily a problem for many people -- I guess it depends which side of the "who cares, if it sounds good it is good"/"but it doesn't sound authentic for that instrument" fence you fall on :lol:

Bristol synth developer wrote:The algrithms [sic] employed were 'gleaned' from a variety of sources including the original owners [sic] manuals, so they may be a better source of information. Some of them were built just from descriptions of their operation, or from understanding how synths work - most of them were based on the Mini Moog anyway. Many of the synths share components: the filter covers most of them, the Prophets and Oberheims share a common oscillator...

Emphasis mine. Sharing oscillators and filters is probably fine for some of the Prophets and Obies, but their filters are very different to the Moogs and ARPs, which are different to each other as well.

A friend who is pretty well acquainted with my Solina has tried the Bristol Solina and doesn't think it comes anywhere close. I tried the Axxe briefly, shortly after I got one, and it didn't seem particularly close, although I didn't mess around with it for long as I just can't be arsing about with softsynths any more. Maybe one day, if I get really bored, I might do a more in-depth comparison against my Solina, Oddy and Axxe.

Argh, just thought I'd give the Solina a quick try, it segfaults the moment I send any midi to it. Bollocks to it.

There's certainly a lot to explore in the Bristol package. For me, the GUIs were too putzy and small. The GUI has to be attractive and pleasant to use, otherwise it gets tedious at best.
I'm hoping to get a "really bored" day, too, so that I can explore them better.
For now, I'm trying to get Triceratops to work on my KXStudio PC. It looks to be a really nice synth. You can see it here: Triceratops

brian
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Postby stephen » Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Triceratops looks interesting, I'll have to give it a whirl.
Stephen(2)
stephen

House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Postby briandc » Tue May 14, 2013 11:19 pm

I don't know how common emulating guitar is on a virtual subtractive synth, but I *think* this is getting close.

Just one instance of each voice: one guitar patch, one bass patch, one "ephemeral" patch. --And hydrogen to keep rhythm! :)

brian
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Postby briandc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi everyone,

Banks 13 and 14 are now available for amSynth, for anyone using a linux-based operating system. :)

amSynth

A few demos are also provided, just click on the "single instance demos" link.

brian
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Previous

Return to Software Synthesizers