New Octatrack reverbs!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

New Octatrack reverbs!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri May 31, 2013 2:24 pm

Just got the elektron newsletter and there's a new OT OS out which adds two new reverbs; a dark reverb and a spring. My only dislike with the sound of it before this was the sound of the original verb, I'm looking forward to getting home and updating it to try them out. Good timing too, I've got two shows this weekend so I can try them out on a nice big PA.

Anyone else looking forward to upgrading theirs?
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Advertisement:

Re: New Octatrack reverbs!

Postby plus321 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:34 pm

Awesome. My friend gave me a beta of it, but I was waiting for the release. He said there's a stereo spatializer thing too that's really cool. Going to put it on tonight.
plus321

Postby edfunction » Fri May 31, 2013 4:12 pm

nice! there's a lot more i would wish for before more reverbs but every update is exciting!!!
edfunction

Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:00 am

edfunction wrote:nice! there's a lot more i would wish for before more reverbs but every update is exciting!!!

What kind of other stuff? For me the reverb was the only thing I wanted different, but that's probably just due to the octatrack really suiting the way that I work. Would be keen to hear what kind of improvements other people think could be made.
Stab Frenzy

Postby Psy_Free » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:19 am

Looks good. I wasn't a fan of the original reverb, it just sounded cheap & nasty (that's nasty bad, not nasty good). Looking forward to checking out the new ones & the spatializer.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bandcamp : http://sachagibsonklangzeit.bandcamp.com/
Soundcloud : http://soundcloud.com/psy_free
Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Some synths, guitars, effects & circuit bent bongos
Band: Klangzeit

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Yeah I seem to remember the reverb was originally called Gatebox, which seems appropriate as it does sound boxy.

I tried out the new verbs when I played tonight and they're really nice. The dark reverb sounds like what you think a reverb should sound like, the spring doesn't sound exactly like the spring in my modular but it's good and p locking it is fun. I'm really pleased with them, I was seriously considering buying a Space to use for reverb but I don't really feel like I need it any more. Looking forward to playing with them more tomorrow night.
Stab Frenzy

Postby hyphen nation » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I was seriously considering buying a Space to use for reverb but I don't really feel like I need it any more. Looking forward to playing with them more tomorrow night.

Whoa...that's kind of huge and awesome...
hyphen nation

Gear: boxes that make noises

Postby edfunction » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
edfunction wrote:nice! there's a lot more i would wish for before more reverbs but every update is exciting!!!

What kind of other stuff? For me the reverb was the only thing I wanted different, but that's probably just due to the octatrack really suiting the way that I work. Would be keen to hear what kind of improvements other people think could be made.

I would love to have a pitch-shifter to run external things through but most of all I would like to have a re-pitch option instead of the time-stretch. Also being able to move the delays and reverbs to slot 1 would be cool.

I'm not complainig about the update though!
edfunction

Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:36 am

hyphen nation wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:I was seriously considering buying a Space to use for reverb but I don't really feel like I need it any more. Looking forward to playing with them more tomorrow night.

Whoa...that's kind of huge and awesome...

I should say that it's mostly for live use, I have an eclipse in the studio but wanted a good reverb for live. I don't know if the new verbs are quite as good as the space (haven't put them head to head) but I feel like they're good enough that I don't need to spend $500 and carry an extra pedal to shows.
Stab Frenzy

Postby hyphen nation » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:59 am

Yeah. I love me some eventide effects, but they are just at that price point where they need to be considered within the scheme of entire music budget...cheap effects I just absorb and bring in lunch for a few days instead of eating out. $400+ is real money.

I am planning on grabbing an analog four when it seems like OS has been revised enough...this fall maybe?
When I demoed it in the store one of the things that shocked me was how good the effects were on that thing...I wonder if they pulled some of that over to the Octatrack.
hyphen nation

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:49 am

Yeah when the A4 came out I was a little miffed that the verbs on it were better than the OT one so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd improved their algos for the A4 and then once development of that was moving along ported those algos back the OT. I plan on getting one as my next music purchase.

I am a bit of a delay and reverb nut but I've found that when I get good quality ones it completely removes my desire for cheap fx. At the moment I've got the MF-104Z, Timefactor and Eclipse as my main ones as well as an A-199 and Pittsburgh Analog Delay in my modular and the only thing that's been interesting me is the Space and the Echophon.
Stab Frenzy

Postby hyphen nation » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:25 am

Yeah, it's hard for me to not keep undulator on the Modfactor on all the time.

The only thing not on your list that I am really curious/considering buying is the AnalogMan Delay and his little break outbox thing..thinking there may be an interesting way to integrate that into my signal path. I may be just doing some condolence shopping as I missed a moog delay on craigslist out here for $400...idiot...
hyphen nation

Return to Samplers