Upcoming Monosynths... Bass Station 2 vs. Pulse 2

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Upcoming Monosynths... Bass Station 2 vs. Pulse 2

Postby Andy_X69 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:09 am

Okay, neither of these synths have been released so this is speculative but I need to get some answers.

First, I make Electro-Industrial/EBM.

From what I know, the BS2 has kind of a Rolandy-with-a-touch-of-Moog sound, and I've heard that the original Pulse was very heavy and had a cold/hard edge to it, so I admit I am leaning towards the Pulse 2. The Pulse 2 would also fit better (form-wise) into my studio (I have a space picked out for it).

My other analogs are/will be the Alesis A6, DSI MEK (I know its hybrid but it uses Analog CEM filters, and the filters are always the most important part of an analog) and Arturia Minibrute... so I think that no matter which one I choose, the synth will have a different tonal character to all the others (I also have a Micro Q... I assume that the Pulse 2 and Micro Q will sound totally different).

So, should I go for the Pulse 2 or the BS2?
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128
Andy_X69

Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Advertisement:

Re: Upcoming Monosynths... Bass Station 2 vs. Pulse 2

Postby Hybrid88 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:02 am

Nice setup you have, hmm yeah it's a tricky one but I would be leaning towards the pulse too, the original was always a big go to back in the day for bass sounds in EDM production. Whereas the basstation was more of a "I can't afford a 303 but want something squelchy" kind of synth. At least that's the way I see it.

Also 25 keys is pretty pointless considering your other synths, I would go the pulse. :geek:
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby edfunction » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:44 pm

The mini ms20 would also be worth a look. The new mfb dominion looks pretty amazing also but I different price bracket...
edfunction

Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:01 am

I'm with Hybrid88, considering the gear you already have the Pulse makes more sense.

Assuming it ever shows up and isn't as bug-riddled as Blofeld was :pissed:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Return to Synth Shootouts